NOS Mid 90's Custom Breezysound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My local dealer has a NEW unused Custom BreezySound as per the 1989 catalogue - Pearl/Abalone binding, Maple Neck, Tortoiseshell pickguard, Light wood Body(not sure what type but very nice). He is asking ?579 without a case - It plays wonderfully but this seems a bit expensive ... Can Anyone help? Thanx .. Andy

Hi Andy,
The Breezy you're talking about is the TE80A. Only 2 Breezys ever had the abalone binding - and both were top-end guitars.
Whilst the price is what you would expect to pay (80,000 yen + inflation, etc would be around GBP550), I'm sure the dealer would do a deal if you haggle with him. If he has had it this long, he probably wants to get rid of it soon. See if you can get a case thrown in for an even GBP600.
Who knows...
If you decide to pass on it, contact Luis on this forum as he is looking for a nice Breezysound.

regards
Peter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Mac on 2002-05-03 22:23 ]</font>

Thanks Peter - Are these relatively 'modern' Tokais as well made as the '80's items? ?600 is getting into US Fender territory and I am thinking that I may be wiser to spend a little extra for a US Telecaster ... Any advice gratefully received ...

Regards .. Andy

I think my dealer is telling porkies about the date of this TE80A - The s/n begins with 012XXX which, according to other posts dates it as a 2001 !! Not that this makes it any less of a stunning guitar. Can Anyone tell for how long these models were produced and when production was stopped? I'm hovering at the dealers door with my credit card, but I just need a bit more info ... Thanks Guys ...
Andy

Hi Andy,
To be honest, I have not played any of the new Tokai guitars but all indications are they are as well made and playable as the older models. Remember that in 1984 these "older Tokai" were "new models" when compared to the 60's and 70's Gibsons on the market.

How many times must I say this - DO NOT compare the Fender serial numbers to the Gibson serial numbers as they use a DIFFERENT method.
The Tokai TE120 and TE80A were not replicas of any particular year so the serial numbers carry a late 60's numbering. The abalone inlay is the give-away as neither Fender or Tokai recent model TE series use it anymore. It is very expensive and time consuming to apply abalone inlay and you will pay for that time. Therefore the other materials used with the guitar are far superior to standard models.
Whilst the price is close to a regular Tele, compare the Tokai to a "Fender Custom Shop" model as i believe this is a truer indicator of quality and price.
Compare the ATE33 to a standard Tele - OK

regards
Peter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Mac on 2002-05-04 23:15 ]</font>

Thanks Peter, I spent hours sifting through all the info on the TR website, but obviously misread the s/n information .. Anyway, the dealer wouldn't budge on the price, only to include a gig bag. I am going to try your suggestion of incuding a hard case (this guitar deserves more than a gig bag)for ?600 ... I'll send images if successful .. Thanks for all your help

Andy

Sorry for the blank post - Fingers worn through playing the new Breezy, which I am just aboout to bore you with ...ITS THE DOGS B's !!!
?600 seemed a lot to pay, but having played it in the shop and comparing with other JAP and US Tele's that I had tried, I just had to buy it AND it looks so great !! (images sent to the TR)
The story goes that the dealer bought this gem from the distributor some 6 or so years ago - It was alledgedly one of only 2 that had been imported to the UK - and has been around the shop and unused ever since ...
Spec. - Ash Body bound with Abalone/pearl - One piece (I think) Maple Vintage style Neck (super comfy) - Tokai Vintage Pickups - Kluson style 'Deluxe' tuners - 6 way bridge (at least the intonation should be right)...
Sounds and looks GREAT ..
If anyone else has one of these,let me know..

I am a converted Tokai Plucker, so will soon be on the lookout for a Springy or LoveRock - funds (and woman) permitting !!

Cheers - Andy 'Big Grin' Hastings

Hi Andy,
Did you get the case? I hope so.
You are right about 1 thing - these babys are rare. There was only 1 TE120 brought into Australia and I did play it a couple of times. (see 1982 catalog, p39)Awesome guitar.

with the neck, if it is 2 piece you will see a very faint line along the side of the neck just under the position markers. If not then it's 1 piece neck.

Look forward to seeing the pics

Peter

Back