Tokai P90 pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefinger

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not quite happy with the P-90s in my LS160S. At least I think it's the pickups. They seem to sound a bit too trebly and harsh conpared to the P-90 tones I am used to hear. Maybe it's the guitar itself and it's characteristics but it sounds like a PU issue to me. I am thinking about replacing them with something nice like Fralins or Stephens Design ones. Anyway ... Has anybody replaced the stock Tokai pickups with something else and experienced a fatter, punchier tone afterwards? Are they really a bit on the bright side or is it just the guitar or my imagination?
Any opinions are welcome ...
thanks!

Hi Bluefinger,
it's a very good idea to change the stock gotohs. I've tried Jason Lollars and Stephens Design Blues Zephyrs. The tone you're searching for can only be reached by the Zephyrs. Their tone is much better than the YouTube example shows.
But today i got the Holy Grail of P90's. Kloppmann SB52.
http://www.proguitar.de/ProGuitarPreisliste/Accessories/Accessories.html
If you like tones like Sean Costello's, Junior Watson's , very early Canned Heat, you're right here. They start where the Blues Zephyrs end. I think they are the best when an authentic P90 Tone is wanted for. You'll be astonished, how good your Tokai may sound ;).
Markus

Bluefinger said:
Hi,

I'm not quite happy with the P-90s in my LS160S. At least I think it's the pickups. They seem to sound a bit too trebly and harsh conpared to the P-90 tones I am used to hear. Maybe it's the guitar itself and it's characteristics but it sounds like a PU issue to me. I am thinking about replacing them with something nice like Fralins or Stephens Design ones. Anyway ... Has anybody replaced the stock Tokai pickups with something else and experienced a fatter, punchier tone afterwards? Are they really a bit on the bright side or is it just the guitar or my imagination?
Any opinions are welcome ...
thanks!

I pulled the stock P90's from my USGP90 SG Special and put Fralins in it. Couldn't sound fatter.

I heard that the pickups in the top-of-the-range LS160S were pretty good anyway?

Mike

stratman323 said:
I heard that the pickups in the top-of-the-range LS160S were pretty good anyway?

Mike

They are the same as in every P90 equipped Tokai. Actually they are ok but I feel that they are not doing an otherwise great guitar justice. Volume wide open with the tone rolled back a bit they sound pretty good through my 5F4 tweed supes but with the volume rolled back a but they lose character and thin out too much. I have tried different wirings, pot and cap values but I feel that there is still room for improvement. Since it is my main guitar at the moment I want to get the most out of it.

BF

Bluefinger said:
They are the same as in every P90 equipped Tokai.

Are you sure? I understood that the P90s in the LS160S were better quality than the ones in the LS95S (formerly LS85S)?

stratman323 said:
Bluefinger said:
They are the same as in every P90 equipped Tokai.

Are you sure? I understood that the P90s in the LS160S were better quality than the ones in the LS95S (formerly LS85S)?

I would not bet money on it but at least in the Tokai catalogue they have the same model description.

Anyway ... whatever they are, they don't sound quite the way I want them to so they'll have to go sooner or later.

The stock Gotoh's are pretty poor in my opinion :(

Definitely worth upgrading.

p90's in the ls-160s are not the same as in the lower guitars, they are the same that equip the higher lss (with honduras mahogany special model). Mk1-old.

They sound great in mine, which I bought new in 2006, ls-145s model. I won't be changing them at all.

As in Bruno's, they also sound great in my LS145S. They are a higher grade PUP than the other "lower" models.

Nothing but major compliments on its tone over the years. They just rock. While I lived in New England, I had Duke Robillard play it and he loved the guitar and its sound.

After maaaaany years as a Stratman (still play them, of course), this is my #1 guitar.

Just sayin'.

Well, the catalogue I have says LP-old on all models so I figured they were the same pickups. It doesn't make a difference anyway ... they are lacking the punch I'd like to hear. I never said they were bad. I even prefer them over the new Gibson P90s I have tried in the guitar.
I guess I'm a bit spoiled anyway because I have played a borrowed '73 LP Deluxe with old P90s in it for a while and it had that woody punch that the Tokai doesnt have. I know it's the old wood as well but getting a bit closer would be great.

Here's a link to the guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHDWzLXmHvg&feature=channel_page
it doesn't sound bad at all IMHO but I'm not satisfied yet. I guess I'll give the stephens a try ...

Bluefinger said:
I guess I'll give the stephens a try ...

So, why not, even if the Kloppmann's would be the better choice. Here I wrote something about the Stephens Zephyrs:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Guitar+Pickup/product/SD+Pickups/Zephyr+Blues+P-90/10/1

Why would you think that the Kloppmans are necessarely "better"? In which way do they differ from the Stephens Design?

The reason why I am leaning towards them is that I have talked to Dave before and he is deeply involved in the West Coast Jump scene and therefore knows what kind of tone is needed for this kind of playing style and the amps we prefer. (I'm not from the West Coast but I play in that style). He seems to be willing to find out exactly what someone wants before he starts winding. I have a good feeling doing business with him.

Bluefinger said:
Why would you think that the Kloppmans are necessarely "better"? In which way do they differ from the Stephens Design?

The reason why I am leaning towards them is that I have talked to Dave before and he is deeply involved in the West Coast Jump scene and therefore knows what kind of tone is needed for this kind of playing style and the amps we prefer. (I'm not from the West Coast but I play in that style). He seems to be willing to find out exactly what someone wants before he starts winding. I have a good feeling doing business with him.

I get plenty of Junior Watson tone out of the new Fralins in my Tokai SG Special - but I also get the same excellent fat tone out of my Edwards LP Juniors and Special with their stock Seymour Duncan P90's.

I think alot of that sound has to do with the guitar type, body wood and certainly your amp and settings.

I do agree that the stock Tokai P90's are pretty thin sounding - pretty much any boutique pickup will present a major improvement.

Bluefinger said:
I have a good feeling doing business with him.

Yes, you can have it. It is a very big pleasure to deal with Dave. I wouldn't sell my Zephyrs, even if they had to go because of the Kloppmann's.

Bluefinger said:
The reason why I am leaning towards them is that I have talked to Dave before and he is deeply involved in the West Coast Jump scene and therefore knows what kind of tone is needed for this kind of playing style

Junior Watson would sound like Junior Watson whether you handed him an LS95S, LS160S, or either of those with most of the replacement P90s on the market fitted to them.

I remember when Junior played a Strat - he still sounded like Junior!

stratman323 said:
Bluefinger said:
The reason why I am leaning towards them is that I have talked to Dave before and he is deeply involved in the West Coast Jump scene and therefore knows what kind of tone is needed for this kind of playing style

Junior Watson would sound like Junior Watson whether you handed him an LS95S, LS160S, or either of those with most of the replacement P90s on the market fitted to them.

It's not what you play, it's how you play it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZmyEX3VUuY&feature=PlayList&p=B5EF2D8F916555CC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=52

stratman323 said:

Of course he would but that's not the point. I sound like myself on a Strat, ES-355 or ES-175 as well and the new pickups will not change that either. Allthough he has influenced me quite a bit I don't want to imitate Junior or any other player. I just want a better sounding guitar, that's all ...

well, so far I am very satisfied with the stock PU on my LS160S.
When I first got the LS160S, I considered changing the PU, but as
more I play with it, I put that idea away. They are not 100% perfect PU, but they fairly do the job.
As someone here said before, it's a question of how you play and spend some time with amp & pedals.
Trying to sound like A or B player can be tricky, because each player has it own signature and there are so many variables on the equation it's almost impossible to get the same result.

I've a couple of strats with Fralins and Lollar, and yes they are awesome pickups and the best option in my opinion. Maybe someday if I get tired or have a problem with stock PUs, but I don't think that will happen so soon.

Bluefinger, I've seen your vids, you have a nice ?vintage? tone man, and the whole band sounds great too! keep it up!

Back