Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai bodies...were any plywood?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Integra
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Tokai bodies...were any plywood? Reply with quote

Hi, I recently picked up a Tokai Hardpuncher P-bass. I guess it's around '81 or '82 as it has the 'spaghetti' logo, serial # on the neck plate is 100668. The neck is great and has a nice grain to it. But I noticed the body was kind of light feeling, at least compared to the Tokai Hardpuncher P/J bass I have. It looks like the body is made of plywood. The bridge also doesn't look stock (doesn't have the grooved saddles) so I'm wondering if the body is not Tokai-made. Did Tokai make any instruments with plywood bodies in that era?
Thanks for any info.
stratman323

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's news to me if they did. Post some pics of your instrument, and I'm sure someone will have an idea about what it is.

Mike
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy it in Korea? I haven't seen any MIJ Tokais here yet. Most of the shops I ask don't even know the brand. Is it possible it's a 'Fakai'?

Jason
Integra
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I got this one in Japan. The neck and neckplate appear to be authentic. I've had other Tokais for reference. I will take it apart again and get a shot of the body, but I'm really doubting it's Tokai. Thanks.
stratman323

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an early 90s MIJ Squier Strat that surprised me when I discovered it had a ply body. I had assumed that all the Japanese stuff was better quality than that. But I would be much more surprised if Tokai had dropped their standards that much.

But you never know....
Integra
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now I'm not sure if the body is ply or not. I think I saw the ridges in the pocket where it looks like someone did some extra routing(?) and I just thought "ply". But then I took the pickguard off, pickups out and looked in the control cavity and it looks like solid wood. I also took some pics of the pickups, the neck, neckplate, bridge and what looks to be a capacitor which was just taped on the inside of the control cavity. None of the pots were with the bass when I got it.

I was wondering if anyone could tell whether some of the other parts were Tokai or not. The bridge doesn't look like some other Tokai's I have (non grooved saddles) plus the strings seemed a little out of alignment when I got the bass. It was like they were off center, the E string was too close to the edge of the fingerboard and the G not close enough to the edge.
The pickups appear to say "NC" on one and "SC" on the other.

If anyone can help me ID the body and parts I'd appreciate it.

Here are some pictures from my photobucket site (disregard the two Fender pocket pics):

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd117/vintagejapanbass/Tokai%20P-Bass/

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: