Someone is going to get taken...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PetJyr said:
Didnt Michael Moore do a comparision of Canadians vs Americans in Bowling for Columbia, his conclusions if I remember correct where that Americans are generally more scared thanks to all mediareporting about violence. And therefore the need of being armed.

I'm a bit reluctant to comment on this, as I know many US citizens feel very strongly about the right to own guns, & I don't wish to upset anyone.

A common view in Europe is that wider gun ownership means more gun crime, & the US is seen as an example. But my recollection of Michael Moore's film is that he showed that gun ownership in Canada was about the same as in the US (lots of bears up there!), and yet gun crime is much lower.

It's clearly not a simple issue, & the trouble is that most of us tend to support the situation in our own country, and assume that other countries have got it wrong.

stratman323 said:
But my recollection of Michael Moore's film is that he showed that gun ownership in Canada was about the same as in the US (lots of bears up there!), and yet gun crime is much lower.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever been shot by a bear, however lots of people have bee shot by Americans :wink:

I live by this rule until I get to "know" a person, regardless of whether I'm selling guitars or tomatoes:

"A stranger is a stranger ....... by definition".

So, when selling/buying, I meet with them elsewhere. jmo

"PetJyr"
Didnt Michael Moore do a comparision of Canadians vs Americans in Bowling for Columbia, his conclusions if I remember correct where that Americans are generally more scared thanks to all mediareporting about violence. And therefore the need of being armed.

Yeah, and Michael Moore is the voice of reason :roll: . He's more about sensationalism and hype as anyone...bit of a hypocrite.

My house got broken into....someone violated my space and that of my wife. They stole things we worked for and broke things they didn't take. You always live with the fear that they will be back.

I'm armed now because of that and will shoot the first f@#*er that ever steps into my house with the intent to rob, rape or do harm of any kind - without hesitation.

marcusnieman said:
Yeah, and Michael Moore is the voice of reason :roll: . He's more about sensationalism and hype as anyone...bit of a hypocrite.

Well he had Bush sussed much sooner than most people did.....

stratman323 said:
A common view in Europe is that wider gun ownership means more gun crime, & the US is seen as an example. But my recollection of Michael Moore's film is that he showed that gun ownership in Canada was about the same as in the US (lots of bears up there!), and yet gun crime is much lower.

Washington DC has by far the most restrictive gun ownership laws in the US. It also has the highest - or nearly the highest, choose your statistics - rate of handgun crime. Criminals commit crimes, and, in the US at least, they seem to have no problem finding handguns, despite felons being unable to legally acquire them. I find the arguments on boths sides of this issue rather old and tired.

As for Michael Moore, well, if I can't say something nice... Okay, I'm no fan of GM's Roger Smith either.

Washington DC has by far the most restrictive gun ownership laws in the US.

Is it like when Homer Simson was told that he had to wait 3 days before he could get his gun at the gunshop and he replied "But I?m angry now" :wink:

It's true, I have to admit.... there is a bear behind every Christmas tree up here. MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!! :lol: :wink:

Back