Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRRRRR...!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: GRRRRR...!!!!! Reply with quote

Scenario:
My band has had a residency at a pub for the past 6 months.
Crowds have generally been good....your typical Aussie pub-rock drunks...scream out for AC/DC all night til we give in and play some.
We have a smallish following...regulars that come see us whenever we play.
Now the publican and his wife are in their very early 20's and,like most young folk today are waaaaay into dance music.
The publican however...realises that not everyone likes dance/house and he needs to cater to the rock crowd.
Last night was our final gig for the year and the last of the residency.
Crowd was about usual..minus some of the regs.
Now...the publican and his wife had been on a pub crawl/drinking binge all day and come gig time the publican was very much worse for wear so he took off for the night and left the Mrs in charge.
We played our first two sets....the crowd enjoyed it...and we enjoyed it...we were having a blast.
We come off stage and Mrs Publican approaches the singer and tells him that if we wanted to call it a night she'd pay us full price.
In other words...."I'm smashed off my tits and all I want to do is dance on the tables to hip hop"...which she promptly did.
Now...as far as i'm concerned they go and get fucked if they want us back in the new year.
You either WANT live rock or you don't...clearly the Mrs didn't.
To say I was angry and offended is putting it mildly....the drummer had to actuallt restrain me from going and slapping the young bitch.
So...come the new year we'll be approaching the pub's rivals...who have been poaching us ever since their crowds began dwindling when we started playing.
New Year and a New residency as far as I'm concerned.
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oze, Feel better now.. . I was playing down the gold coast on a friday night a couple of years ago and 10 minutes before we were to go on the manager comes over and asks if he can look at our song list for the night, he then proceeded to cross out about 75% of our list and told us to find something else instead... . Absolutely wonderful having to write a new list at the last minute, and about half the songs we weren't allowed to play were the songs everyone wanted to hear and were continually requested definitely a no win situation .

Cheers Mick
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it really pisses me off.
The pub rock scene in Australia is shakey enought without fucktard publican/venue owners saying that they want live rock just to get you to sign to a residency and then turning around and binding your hands.
Like..if an owner comes to me on a quiet night and says I'll pay you full price if you want to pack it in early...that's one thing..but when they give you no choice that's a f&(%^n insult.
stratman323

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick, what reason did he give for making you drop certain songs? I've never heard of that happening.
Micky Mojo
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have just played Machine Gun by Hendrix Band of Gypsies for an hour, that'll learn em, hahahaha
leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Mike, Like Ozeshin said the pub rock scene has deteriorated over here {they make more money from poker machines}. The manager in question just didn't like some of the covers we were doing at the time, he thought they got everyone worked up.. {funny thats what we were trying to do!!} so he wanted a more placid song list . This has occurred more than once.!!
Thats why i prefer to do original music and play venues which cater for this without any bias.
cheers Mick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: