neck stamp on '84 Goldstar Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowWatt

Reaction score
I'm a new Tokai guy, just got an '84 Goldstar Sound copy of a 50's strat with E-series pickups (serial #1991) . I've been told that you can see the exact model number when you remove the neck.

I was expecting ST-90 or something like that, but my neck stamp says "8=3" and the neck pocket on the body has a Fender style "7" F written in red pen.

Does anyone know what this means or what the model number would have been?

Also, does anyone know an easy way to tell between a poly and nitro finish?

Is it Ash or Alder or another wood? How would I tell?

If there's anything else you guys can tell me about this guitar from the clues above, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I bought it for my brother, but I'm falling for it. The soft-V maple neck and black finish. It's like having a beautiful recreation of Eric Clapton's "Blackie." I think I'll keep it and save up to buy him a different guitar.

I should add that the control cavity of the body is stamped "10=1BB" I've dug around the registry (great site by the way, it helped sway me to buy this guitar) and have found nothing about these internal Tokai stamps.

Again, I love this guitar and I'm really curious. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

We think they are some type of date code, normally the neck and body have the same code but not always. BB is a color code and means black. The model number is on a sticker on the back of the neck close to the heel on the Goldstars. They are often removed unfortunately and so is also the "made in japan" sticker. If your guitar has "Deluxe" stamped tuners and "Final prospec" stamped bridge saddles it's a TST-50 or better model. Since it has a v-neck (it is a one piece maple neck?) and "E" pickups it is probably a higher spec model, either TST-60 or 80. The body is made of alder.

Mike

thanks for the info. It still has the "Made in Japan" sticker and it has the Deluxe stamped tuners and Final Prospec saddles. It definitely is a one-piece neck.

What distinguishes the TST 60s from 80s?

LowWatt said:
thanks for the info. It still has the "Made in Japan" sticker and it has the Deluxe stamped tuners and Final Prospec saddles. It definitely is a one-piece neck.

What distinguishes the TST 60s from 80s?

The pickups, TST-80 has DiMarzio VS-1 pickups and as far as I know they are the "E" stamped pickups. I'm not sure, but it seems that higher spec models have bodies made of fewer pieces, the TST-80 might have a one piece body, try to check that. Also, the TST-80 might have a nitro finish but I'm not sure about that.

Mike

I can see the grain really lightly if I put the guitar in the right light. The grain does look like a one-piece as best I can see it.

Wow! All this info is explaining why this guitar sounds and feels so nice. The more I learn, the more I can't get over the fact that I got such a fine guitar with hard case for some pedals I haven't used in about a year and $250 CDN.

I worked in a major guitar store for years and this thing really does smoke almost every production fender I remember playing (guitars going for up to $1500!).

Back