I'm surprised to see that no one comments on epi japan LQ's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epi lq:

-lacquer finish (not nitrocelullose from the info I could gather)
-bone nut
-Long neck tenon/deep neck joint (extends halfway the pickup cavity)
-60's slim neck profile
-mahogany body/mahogany neck
-Epiphone japanese unmarked pickups

Tokai Ls-80:

-polyurethane thin layer finish
-not sure about the nut
-"medium" neck tenon (does not extend into the cavity)
-neck profile (the ones I tried were chunky 59ish type profile)
-mahogany body/mahogany neck
-Tokai Mk3 pickups

no, I'm not advertising, I'm just a guitar player

bruno said:
I'm surprised to see that no one seems to comment on Epiphone limited LQ japan line. These guitars are supposed to be the continuity of Orville, and have pretty good specs, so what's up? Anyone care to comment?

I dunno. While I love the Fujigen Gakki-made Orville by Gibson Les Pauls .... for some reason, maybe because of that word "Epiphone" on the headstock, I'm just not interested in those Epi Limited models.

The brand has been too long associated with low end entry models.

bruno said:
.... Anything I forgot worth mentioning?
Bruno, thanks for yor prompt reply
Yes, you forgot the main point: the price.
I stated this already in my posting before.
The street price of this Epis is JYEN 79,800
The street price of a Tokai LS80 is JYEN 64,000
This are huge 20% less for the same features!!
... and without any doubt, the image of a Tokai is much more worth as an EPI

Bone nut is the same.
neck tennon I'm not sure, unless I see a pic

Hey Bruno, :wink: forgive me please, I'm selling Tokais and not Epis. Understand?
But I don't compare apples with oranges

Hey,

what's going up here ???

Gents, we shouldn't make the mistake to devalue Bruno's choice ... !! :oops:

OK - the posting is on the right category and we're talking about the various MIJ guitars here - that's all - but no one is able to give a satisfactorily answer on bruno's question, because nobody has a touch of experience ... !!!!

So, why should we try to change his mind ?? :-?

When I was looking for experience concerning special pups (nearly no answer!), Hans-J?rgen posted to make my own experience - I did !!

... and that's what I say now: bruno, there is nobody to give you the advice you'll expect from us ... so, give it a try, man!!! :wink:

Roger

hi all,

let me contribute with a feedback on these guitars. I have tried them and think they are really good guitars. Personally I like them, the tone is good and the feel as well. They will match any Orvilles, maybe except for the PU. But even the stock does sound rich and warm.

I really don't know why no body has much comments on them. Likely because unlike Oville, they have not been around as long.

the last i notice on eBay, closing price for a moderately good condition black beauty piece was USD$900 excluding shipping. Bluzey was the seller.

I am not sure if those selling on Ishibashi currently comes from the same factory as those batch that took over directly from Orville. My guess is they are not. (please correct me if I am wrong).

The old batch uses nitro, but current ones not sure. Please note that those that I have tried are the batches that took over from Orville coz their serial number dates around 99-01.

Cheers!

For some reason I can't bear to look at the headstock shape of Epiphones and name looks/sounds a bit "funny". I don't know why that is. Maybe it's just me? :eek: :oops:

a bit late.. back on this topic. :D

After purchasing 2 of those ( not at the same time :lol: ): not bad guitars, I'd say the Lacquer series are a cross between the Orville and the Orville by Gibson. the hardware is more like Orville by Gibson but with Orville P.U., lacquer finish like ObG, but 2 or 3 pieces bodies like Orville.

The building and the finish of the guitars are perfect, very clean and precise, the borders of inlays are absolutely perfect, better than Tokai ones ( more like on Edwards), around binding it's perfect too. With a p.u upgrade, those guitars rocks.

a good bang for the bucks, (especially if you got them at discount). :wink:

Here's a 2001 Epiphone LPS-90FT HB, Limited Edition, comes with a pick guard but it was never installed; I can see why :D
EpiLtdX2.jpg

Here's a 2000 Epiphone LPS-?? so, I'm not sure which model #; it's a solid top, and it's in transit. Gotta love that flitch matched solid top :D
EpiToshi.jpg

These have the long neck tenon & the Gibson style, open book, head stock.
The flame top was a very nice Lester; I'm hoping the solid top is as nice..........

Oh, I forgot as far as the Epis, here's a 2004 MIJ 61SG 'Faded' which is a dull color cherry & NO clear coat, 2 piece center seam body, one of the best SGs I've ever played, really
EpiSGfrtFull-rotated.jpg

Here's an Edwards E-JR-85LT TVY, which can't be beat for the $$
TV1-1.jpg

Here's an Edwards E-LS-90LT TVY, also a kick butt fiddle
TVS1.jpg

The Edwards with the 1 piece bodies & the Seymour Duncans, are very hard to beat.
The Epiphones are just as good, IMO.
Can't go wrong with any of them..........

nice stuff!

:D

MIJvintage said:
The Edwards with the 1 piece bodies & the Seymour Duncans, are very hard to beat.
The Epiphones are just as good, IMO.
Can't go wrong with any of them..........

exept for th P.U. the ?piphone ones are neither good nor bad, a bit dull. Those guitars really need an upgrade.

(I'll trade for an Edwards LP Jr DC next week, it will be my first Edwards, I played my friends' a lot but never had one myself :p )

20 century boy said:
they are the continuity of the Orville but a few things bug me:
-for that price you should expect a nitro finish and some Gibson pick up. ....

Hmmmm ... i prefer a poly finish (more road-ready), and there are some Gibson-pickups i really dislike (e.g. T500).
I think for that price these LQs seem quite o.k., but i haven't played one so far.

See you
B.

Well, depends on what you're looking for. :)

On the LQ serie:

it's solid tops, lacquer finish, on the accuracy of the finish you can compare them with Edwards. Inlays are perfects, long tenon, the electronic and tuners are doing the job very well ( orange drops in the pots cavity). Better finish than the actual Tokai ( they seem to be more and more ont the hurry on that point), equal to the Edwards. Neck is like a lot of Orville, not slim tapper but not far.

BUT, it's a 3 pieces body ( Edwards have one I think, Tokai from that price range 2) and the P.U. ( especially the humbuckers) sucks, Tokai MKII are better and SD from Edwards too. So if you don't mind flame tops, for more or less the same price range you can go for an Edwards and if you don't mind poly, you can get a tokai. Both have good P.U. no need to upgrade.

I don't like flame tops and prefer the slimmer necks so Tokai and Edwards was a no-go for me but I understand why the ?pi LQ didn't got so popular in japan. But it's good guitars. "quite ok" as you said. :)

Made by Fujigen gakki ( maybe their last run before closing?)

2001 Epi Limited Edition LPS-90FT HB

2 piece mahogany body; center seam & MATCHED :)
EpiLtd12.jpg

This type of grain orientation & grain matching makes for some serious body resonance :D

The only thing better would be a 1 piece body, with similar grain orientation, which would be difficult to produce in a single piece of lumber

Back