Ishabashi ? Experiences ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgdew

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been checking out the Ishabishi website, finding it slighly confusing to read etc and work out how to order anything.

Has anyone else got any experiences with ordering from here, I am particluarly interested in the following model in Wine Red
http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/body/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ishibashi.co.jp%2Fwebshop%2Fguitar%2Ftokai%2Flc80.htm&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Can anyone tell me how much it would actually cost me to buy this guitar and ship it to the UK ?

Thanks for any info you can share, just a bit daunted ordering from somewhere where I cannot even fathom the website..

Regards
Martin

mgdew said:
I have been checking out the Ishabishi website, finding it slighly confusing to read etc and work out how to order anything.
They have set up a page for international users explaining how to order etc.:

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/body/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ishibashi-music.com%2F&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Has anyone else got any experiences with ordering from here, I am particluarly interested in the following model in Wine Red
Good taste... ;) I don't have personal experience with them, but read only good things about them. You could use the forum search with their name which is "Ishibashi", by the way. ;)

Can anyone tell me how much it would actually cost me to buy this guitar and ship it to the UK ?
Worldwide shipping is US $120.00, as far as I know, not sure about additional UK import taxes etc., but I think you can substract the Japanese taxes from your price, so it's 64,000 Yen without a case plus shipping plus any UK custom/taxes whatever....

excellent, thanks hans

so i can expect to pay;

$575 (64,000 yen)
$120 (delivery)

$695 all in + Uk tax's if stopped.

that is excellent price for a Japanese custom copy.. I recently got a superb Korean Cherry Sunburst Copy and paid the same price (Canadian Specs). So for the japanese version paying the same is pretty good.

hmmmm.. think I will be placing that order pretty soon... have always wanted a wine red translucent , and a custom version just makes it all the better... yummy.

mgdew said:
so i can expect to pay;
$575 (64,000 yen)
$120 (delivery)

$695 all in + Uk tax's if stopped.
I really don't know what the British Customs office does with foreign guitar cases. There was a thread recently about importing german guitars to the UK with QuattroSte and Ian, maybe you should read that one first, because I don't remember it exactly. I also read several times that US citizens never had to pay something extra when importing Japanese guitars, but I don't know if they were just lucky.

hmmmm.. think I will be placing that order pretty soon... have always wanted a wine red translucent , and a custom version just makes it all the better... yummy.
I think the LC80 is one of the most interesting Love Rocks in the Tokai catalog, because it's the only one completely in mahogany which probably sounds different than a maple top. And the see-through wine red finish with golden hardware as well as black knobs and pickguard really looks great, too.

But I would also ask in your mail what experiences Ishibashi has with exporting to the UK concerning customs fee and taxes.

hi mgdew
i got one from japan 6 weeks ago, not from ishabashi , from another japanese e bayer. recieved guitar in 6 days but you will pay aprox 22%in import duty and vat and also on the postage charges as well so be aware of this. the guitars arrive in the coventry parcelforce office and are then sent for customs examination. mine was with customs longer than it took to get from japan to the uk. but it still was worthwhile

thanks to both for you input.

I had to pay import tax on the korean I imported from Canada, so I fully expect that i will also get stopped for anything from Japan. One thing to any english man trying to import should remember is as mentioned, you only pay a percentage of the price marked, so if the seller is helpful he can declare the sale price lesser than it actually was, this makes the import hit a little les bearable, also if the seller was willing to do it, then they can mark it as a gift (this is risky so be careful about suggesting this) as marking it as a gift makes it exempt from import taxes.

I am going to really go through the LS anc LC models with a fine tooth comb and get one sooner rather than later. I might stay away from he custom purely on the basis of the gold hardware, I previously own a 2003 Gibson Classic in lightburst, and I miss her a little bit since letting her go, so might consider an LS70 in Violin burst which will basically look like it did.

But that lovely wine red is calling, so might just get the LS80 in Wine Red. hmmmmm decisions decisions decisions...

mgdew said:
But that lovely wine red is calling, so might just get the LS80 in Wine Red. hmmmmm decisions decisions decisions...
If you want a glossy see-through dark red finish with chrome hardware on a flamed sycamore top, take the LS80F which is available in SDR, CS, VF and IB (Indigo Blue) as well as in matt finishes, too, like MVF, MBS (matt brown sunburst) and MOAK (matt oak)... ;)

Yes, I think it works like this ? Import Duty/Tax is only about 3.5%, but you also have to pay VAT at 17.5% (this time I AM SURE you pay VAT lol!), and you pay both of those taxes not only on cost of guitar but also on cost of shipping ? in fact you even pay Vat on the Import Tax, ie even the Tax is taxed!

If UK Customs decide to open the package to check it, then you may be charged a further ?20 for that, and some UK carriers also charge yet another fee for delivery within the UK (you may think you paid the entire delivery cost to Ishibashi, but seems some UK delivery people can charge a further ?15 on top) ? in total you can add about 24% extra to cost of guitar & shipping.

Only good news is that UK Customs regularly let a proportion of guitars through with no taxes to pay at all (about 20% get in for free), so you may be lucky (if you go to collect the guitar in person, then you?re SURE to get the full Tax bill ? wait for it to arrive at your door, that way you have a 20% chance of paying no Tax) :-? .

Ian.

you will be in touch with one of 3 people...Koichi or Ace, both guys or Noriko... a girl. It`s as easy as e-mailing them. Ask for pics if you need em or anything other querries you may have, they will go out of their way to help you. Shipping may depend on the exchange rate at the time you order. The yen has been losing steam in the last couple of weeks, as I type this it`s close to 112. oo th the US dollar... not much use to a Brit, nor I for that matter I`m Canadian but you can look on line to get the precise rate.
I have bought a few guitars from Ishibashi and it`s always been a pleasant experience, very easy to work with them.

Thanks for all your replies, I have been in touch with Noriko and she has been exceptionally helpful thus far, the only down side is that their stock choices are rather limited...

Out of all the LS and LC models this is what they have available;

-LS70 CS/VF
-LS75 VF
-LS80F VF/MVF
-LS85Q VF
-LS120F CS/VF

Can anyone else think of anywhere that I can check out that offer these models around the same price (or cheaper) but with slightly more colour options.. ??

mgdew said:
Can anyone else think of anywhere that I can check out that offer these models around the same price (or cheaper) but with slightly more colour options.. ??
Most of them say "sold" or "call" though... ;)

http://www.cyborg.ne.jp/~universe/stock1.html

JSD in Canada has more colors on Korean models, too (none in wine red though and with maple necks and Nashville bridges):

http://www.jsdguitarshack.com/tokai_love_rock.html

Tokai UK claims to have all colors available for the ALS75Q:

http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/loverock.htm

Regent Guitars for the LS70F, too:

http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Love_Rock.html

These last two offer them at higher prices than the Japanese dealers of course.

How about this LS70F for only EUR 1,290.00? ;)

tok_ls70fsdr.jpg

OK, here's the last "real deal"...

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46648&item=7338916695

Thanks Hans.....

Not into Quilt Tops.. got to be plain or flame...

I can get new from Ishibashi the LS75 in whatever colour (if I am willing to wait for production) for ?450 delivered (including UK taxes) that is ?300 less than most of the shops in the uk, that is a very big markup. Is there something here I am missing, am I not really buying the same guitar or something... ??

mgdew said:
I can get new from Ishibashi the LS75 in whatever colour (if I am willing to wait for production) for ?450 delivered (including UK taxes) that is ?300 less than most of the shops in the uk, that is a very big markup. Is there something here I am missing, am I not really buying the same guitar or something... ??
I guess that's just the usual profit margin of the dealers in Europe. The UK examples I gave in this thread were also asking their list prices (not the original Japanese ones), e.g. from Tokai UK, so if they can sell the guitars for that, they don't need to lower them. :wink:

But thanks for the info about possibly ordering any catalog color for only one guitar in Japan if you wait long enough, I didn't know that yet. Did they say how long you have to wait?

Well, with profit margins like that then I can see the whole for a nice small business to profit, with much smaller margins, but greater stock import..

I know where I will be buying mine from :D

as marking it as a gift makes it exempt from import taxes.

Sorry, that's not the case; anything coming in can get nobbled for duty. Trust me, I checked.

Regarding Ishibashi, I've dealt with them a fair bit and they've been absolutely great. If you ask them something and they don't know or aren't sure, they talk to the people directly involved and find out, then inform you as soon as possible, all with the utmost politeness and courtesy. I would recommend them unreservedly.

I bought my first Tokai from them about 4 years ago.It was an AST-56 strato replica cream body and maple neck.It cost me 20.000 yen at that time so go figure.I took to a luthier and prepare them to be my main guitar(I invested about 180 euro in that guitar).Now it will be nearly impossible getting an iferior japanese guitar for that price.

About Ishibashi's service I can tell you I got very happy with them.I don't know if things have changed much since them.

I've bought a handfull of guitars from them over the years, service is top notch. Never had a problem. Web site is pretty confusing to me, so I just email Norinko and tell her what I want.

Back