Have a Tokai, having trouble matching details for register

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z0mbee

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is a bit of a time travelling thread - I realised I had already signed up here, and *then* realised I had already posted about the guitar in question, in 2009!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I got the guitar as a present in the end, and it served me well in a Beatles tribute band for a couple of years.

I still have it now, and recently realised I still know very little about it. I'm pretty sure it is a genuine Tokai, but that's about it. Can anyone help me identify anything like the age, or if it was a common model? I have honestly never seen another one with the same spec or finish. Also, a few things seem out of sorts when I look at the dating guide:

- The model number seems to be a little different to normal.
- There is no serial number on the back of the neck, where it joins the bridge.
- The bridge plate is not stamped.

Here are some pictures, and I apologise for the dust and smearing - I promise to give her a good clean later!

d46fc1d0-f8f4-4c67-8e8f-c14515344b81_zpsrvlkfwil.jpg

IMG_20150208_121556_zpshlvn7qgz.jpg

IMG_20150208_121607_zpscprmuqpv.jpg

Grateful for any sleuthing :)

I'm not certain, but I suspect it's a fairly modern ATE70, in rosewood finish with an alder body, probably made not much earlier than your 2009 purchase date ?
Although I couldn't find that finish in modern catalogs, other things point to it being a newer model.

Catalog 26 is the same as 2009 catalog 25, if you want to do some sleuthing on your own.
http://www.theguitarshop.jp/service/catalogue.html

Back