Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about "vintage" Burny's.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theskywolf
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, sorry for calling you Ned I think it happened because it's your two names on the list as moderators and both three characters ...

The serail on the Burny is xx62704 - with the x not indication numbers I don't want to tell, there are really two x impressed

Yeah, the mystery is facinating, that's why we discuss things like this I think the legal question is a good point to the question why they don't tell us.

Cheers Wolf
james
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ian

I still look in occasionally. When I first got involved it was during a very quiet period at work so I was on here all the time! I'd just bought an 81 ES100J from Lee (oldflame to you guys) and wanted to find out about it. It was great fun chatting to other Tokai owners and learning together. Glad to see its still going on and that the research we all did back then is still being added to.

I've also owned a black 81 Love Rock, a sunburst Goldstar and a Breezysound. The only one I've got left is the Breezysound, which has been stripped (had a dodgy green refin on it when I got it) and has a Squier JV neckplate on it!

At the moment I've also got the Burny SG, the Burny LP Special and a recently purchased Squier JV strat. I'm looking to sell the SG so if anyone is interested let me know (particularly if you have a nice plain top Burny Les Paul standard, or Burny/Greco LP junior to trade).

Cheers

James
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see a burny with a long tenon ...anybody seen one?
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skywolf,

Here's a couple pics of mine - sorry for the delay! Warning! Lots of detail because they're friggin' huge!!

Jim
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywolf ? ha, I was only kidding about calling me Ned, I just thought it was amusing lol . Hmm, strange that first 2 digits are just XX ? I was hoping it might be a Tokai style 7-digit number with first 2 digits indicating the date, oh well back to the drawing board .

James ? thanks, good to hear from you ? sorry to hear your almost clean out of Tokais now ? but I appreciate all that early stuff you posted when the forum began, I think it makes interesting reading & clearly shows what guys did & did not know at the time ? very open discussions with everyone feeling their way, more direct investigative style than we have now .

Ian.
theskywolf
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Jim, a very nice Gold Top this one! I can't clearly see the serial no, but I think it also starts with xx, doesn't it? Are the tuning pegs the original ones? The pot knobs are different from mine. Is there anything written on the PUs?

Ian By the way, I've learned a lot reading old threads here! Theanks to all who share their knowledge and ideas!
Jim Jones
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wolf,

My serial number is all numbers. I've taken out the pickups (and actually rotated them - neck pickup seemed a bit muddy and the bridge a bit shrill - seems good now), and I didn't find any markings on the bottom. Mine has a short neck tennon (I think all Burny's do actually...)

The tuners are original, Andrew told me that Burny didn't start using the tulip Klusons until a few years after this one was made. The tuners look a bit ugly in the photo but they're OK in person.

Take care!

Jim
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No serial number on LC-80 and 60 Burnys I had.Binding covering frets in both.A sort of medium/thin neck profile.
Agree about tuners,not kluson,that I did not like.
wcgary83
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Its funny, I bought this guitar w/o even reading this thread!
I came across this forum when researching the guitar as I always obsessively do when I buy a new toy-

I bought this guitar as a player, im really not interested in resale value, as I will be modding it. After reading this, do you guys think it will really have the same quality and construction as a Tokai? Did I get beat on this by thinking it was a tokai? I don't care as much about electronics, as much as the tonewoods and construction.

Do you guys think it would be worth coughing up the cash for a nitro finish? Probably about 400-500?

Also, this may seem unconventional to some, but im planning on adding an EMG-81, and a Seth Lover 59 PAF in the neck (very versatile setup). Anyone familiar w/ the sound of these pickups in tokai/burny? What do you do with the circut board? Yank it?
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcgary83 wrote:
Do you guys think it would be worth coughing up the cash for a nitro finish? Probably about 400-500?

No... but welcome to the forum nevertheless!

Quote:
Also, this may seem unconventional to some, but im planning on adding an EMG-81, and a Seth Lover 59 PAF in the neck (very versatile setup). Anyone familiar w/ the sound of these pickups in tokai/burny? What do you do with the circut board? Yank it?

I'm not a big fan of the Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 (if you mean that one and not their Seth Lover SH-55) as a neck pickup, because to me it sounds too boomy in most guitars, but might work out if that Burny is lacking some of these frequencies. I don't know the EMG, so I can't comment on that. The circuit board is fine in my opinion, but others have a different opinion. As far as I know, no one has made an A/B comparison yet, because that would mean a lot of soldering...
wcgary83
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!

Yeah, you are probably right about the finish- for that much more , I probably could have gone to an ls-80... But I have heard differing opinions about the poly finish, but mostly from cheaper guitars.

About the pickup (oops... I did mean the seth lover) I have heard that too- great OD, but not too good a clean sound

I was looking for that perfect blues OD on the neck- almost like jimmy page on the live BBC sessions

The EMG's are AWESOME!!! but they HAVE to be in a good sounding guitar, because they are so crystal clear. They really bring out the woody les paul tone, and you can turn down the tone control (which wont lose tone, because the active pre-amp) and get an awesome passive sound. Also a bell clear cean sound- beautiful!!! But I have to change the pots---
hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcgary83 wrote:
Yeah, you are probably right about the finish- for that much more , I probably could have gone to an ls-80... But I have heard differing opinions about the poly finish, but mostly from cheaper guitars.

I've mentioned it before in some other thread, the Tokai polyurethane finish on my 1984 LS60 is so thin that you can actually see the ripples of the flamed graining at certain angles. And it doesn't feel sticky to me... by the way, this hasn't changed with the brand new Love Rock II that I've reviewed recently. But of course I don't know about Burny poly finishes.

Quote:
About the pickup (oops... I did mean the seth lover) I have heard that too- great OD, but not too good a clean sound

The Seth Lover is a different pickup than the '59: an Alnico II magnet which does not produce a lot of bass, less output with more compressed mids, so it might be the right neck pickup in your Burny. It's also the standard pickup in the Tokai LS320.

Quote:
The EMG's are AWESOME!!! but they HAVE to be in a good sounding guitar, because they are so crystal clear. They really bring out the woody les paul tone, and you can turn down the tone control (which wont lose tone, because the active pre-amp) and get an awesome passive sound. Also a bell clear cean sound- beautiful!!! But I have to change the pots---

I once had a Bartolini active bridge pickup in my Ibanez Musician, but could never match it with the passive neck pickups I had at that time, so I sold it, because it had too much output and highs anyhow. If your EMG works passive, too, it might be a good combination.
hogguitar
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO do this, you'll need to replace the circuit board since the EMG requires 25k pots as opposed to the 500k pots on the board. The problem with mixing the active and passive pups is that you'll have very uneven output with the 2 pups on together unless you add an active pre-amp like an EMG afterburner to the passive pup.

I recently had a customer asking me to do this, so I spoke to EMG, and this was their recommendation, or more simply, switch both pups to EMG which is what we did.
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i think the greco dry PU's are among the best sounding PU's i have ever heard...

the burny vh\1 are close ...but the greco's are in my opinion clearer and crisper ..they are just lovely PU's..

also all burnys have normal tenon and poly finish ...
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with villager.
greco's PU are really nice. Maybe less catchy at first than Burny's or Edward's PU but fantastic PU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: