PAF vintage MK2 MK3 MK4 pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warxy

Reaction score
Hi,
I saw on the Tokai catalogue that there're few different types of PAF pickup for the lower range of the Love Rocks, the MK2, MK3 & MK4 PAF vintage pickups.
I would like to know what are the difference between the each of these pickups. :wink:
Cheers
BEn

MK2.....The Japanese standard PU.
MK3.....The korean Tokai PU???
MK4.....The Chinese Tokai PU.

Just my guess here. Sorry if wrong.

No, the Mark 3s came on some of the cheaper MIJ guitars, but I'm not clear which models or what the difference was.

Mike

No, I had Mark 3s (I think) in my LS70, but I replaced them with a Duncan Pearly Gates set. I have Mark 2s in my ES130, & I don't intend changing them, but the guitars are so different, I can't make a meaningful comparison.

SUSHI GUY said:
What was MK1 Mike do you know?

I know they used to be on the high end models around the late 90's/early 00's but those models have different ones now - Duncans I think. I had a set but sold it to a fellow forum member. Should have kept them really...

I guess MKII and MKII main difference would be braided against poly wire, and maybe magnets?,I had '05 LS-60 and LS-80 venenr flamed top and had different kind of pickups,LS-60 ones were harder sounding ones and poly wire made of. I guess have some pics somewhere....

leadguitar_323 said:
I had MK1's in my LS-180 they look just like the MK2 pickups except with vintage wire instead of braid.

Mick

Do you know from when to when Tokai made and used MK1?

As far as I understand this mess, there are two kind of mkII pickups, Keiyo mkII and Gotoh mkII.

Besides, Gotoh "the pick up maker" seems to be not the same Gotoh that makes guitar parts and we all know, it's another different company.

I have tried a few new Tokai's
PAF-Vintage MK2 sound's very good, I liked it on all that I tried, LS90Q
LS125F, LS135

PAF-Vintage MK3 sounded very dull and lifeless when I played the
LS80 and LS75, nice gitars, but I would upgrade the pickups
if I bought one.

I`ve got an `02 ls60 which had jap mk3`s in,very powerful(11k) but muddy!Put in Tonerider PAF`s and it`s awesome!

So i guess they just got different outputs and different wires. Sorta like all those gibson pickups with out the stupid fancy names :roll:

warxy said:
So i guess they just got different outputs and different wires. Sorta like all those gibson pickups with out the stupid fancy names :roll:

Not quite that simple.
MKII's are, allegedly, Alnico V magnets and the MKIV's are ceramics.
Not sure about wire used or winds but the ones I've had seem to come in between 8-10 dc resistance depending.
Sound wise the II's are better, but still a tad lifeless to me.
Th IV's can be improved greatly by swapping in an A5 mag.

There are people on here who quite dig the sound from the II's but I've not heard anything good said about the IV's.

In general if you can afford a new MIK of MIC then you'll probably be able to score a second hand MIJ, which are much, much better in all departments.

Not that i am buying a MIK or MIC, i am just curious of the difference between the pickups.
Acutally i am considering about a MIJ loverock. Im just waitting for Peter to put some up. :lol:

Latest posts

Back