i need some opinions about a super grade(pics added)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionickid

Reaction score
hi all. i'm new to this forum and will be getting my first burny delivered soon, and need help identifying what it is i've purchased. first of all i believe it is a rlg50-59 but i'm not sure. it has a three piece back, but, it looks as if there might be a veneer top? so would it be an rlg 60-59? what year is it? maybe it has a plaintop with some flame?(but why would it be matched?) it doesn't have the oem truss rod cover, so that's no help. anyway i paid $1075 for it shipped so...... :-? i'll admit i first thought i was buying a rlg90 or above when i bought it, but that's the price you pay for doing your research after the fact lol! i won't have the guitar in hand until this week so here is the listing. http://gmwads.com/ebay/BurnyFlGoldLP.jpg

BurnyFlGoldLP.jpg

Looks like a post 1985 to late 80s RLG-90 to me; fret edge binding & VH-1 = RLG-90. Yes, that would be veneer.
Post some pics of the pup cavities, control cavity (especially close-ups of the the pots) & back of the pups when you get it! Then we can say more.

jacco said:
Looks like a post 1985 to late 80s RLG-90 to me; fret edge binding & VH-1 = RLG-90. Yes, that would be veneer.
Post some pics of the pup cavities, control cavity (especially close-ups of the the pots) & back of the pups when you get it! Then we can say more.

Agree with the dating, I've played a few from this era, some have been dissapointing and some have been great!! I don't know what he's thinking with that truss rod cover :eek:

thanks jacco, i am feeling a little better about it. i will certainly post all cavity and pickup pics as soon as i get my grubby hands on it. thanks again. T

JohnA said:
jacco said:

Agree with the dating, I've played a few from this era, some have been dissapointing and some have been great!! I don't know what he's thinking with that truss rod cover :eek:

yeah, the first thing that guitar is getting is a historic lp truss rod cover. then pictures/documenting, then purple slinky's and a setup. and last a new gator cali girl case.

JohnA said:
jacco said:

At least the prior owner didn't cover the git with stickers.

:lol:

What is it with the freakin' stickers, anyhow?

zepping said:

Well it's cool if some people do it. So people assume it will be cool if they do it. But it usually isn't.

Simple really.

:wink:

Mike

ok so i got the guitar. all i can say is WOW, very happy. i took some pics of the control cavity, front pickup cavity, and the top. i am very pleased, i think its about 9lbs, my gibson is 10lbs, and this feels at least a pound lighter, all i have is spring loaded floor scale and that says 8, but it's not that light, i have an exactly 8 lb tele and this i heavier, i think. anyway, the only downside is that it has a short tenon, if you can consider that as bad. i really don't care as long as the neck doesn't fall out. the top is veneer, and the top is not perfect as the seam is off to the treble side about 3/16 on an inch. oh well. it has a 3 piece back, one 4 inch piece down the center that everything is mounted to with two "wings" glued on. it has a very thin poly finish, and the pickups look like version 2? vh1's they have grey plastic wire, aren't potted and measure right at 8.1 ohms for both. i replaced the goofy cream truss rod cover with a cheap blank bell for now, i'll get a historic one once sam ash gets them in stock again($21.99) and i need to get a burny control cavity cover for it as it has an ill fitting epiphone cover now. anyone have one? all in all a great guitar, it is very resonant, and the quality is apparent. here are the pics.
DSCF0581.jpg
DSCF0578.jpg
DSCF0582.jpg
DSCF0576.jpg

zepping said:
JohnA said:
jacco said:

At least the prior owner didn't cover the git with stickers.

:lol:

actually, at some point there were stickers on the back of this one. in person you can see rectangle ghosts in the finish where the color is slightly different. i don't get it either, but to each his own.

The last of the original MIJ Burnys was made in 1995/96 and in this period there was RLG 70, RLG 75 and RLG 80 more or less the same guitar with the same pickups and features often three piece backs and flamed veneered tops. Some cherry sunburst but many faded or tea burst in poly.
The neck on these guitars is always a true one piece, no separate heel cap as on almost all the older ones.

this is from japanguitars website. it seems to apply to mine. my guitar does not have a heel cap.

hi
i got an all black burny lp that has the same pots (that i had dated from the late 80) ..... i did belive they had been changed ,,,, but maybe the later burny used another kind of pots
maybe we can use that too ,,, to id burny from the 90 :D :D
all the best
otto

so does anyone know what kind of magnets are in these grey wire "vh-1's" they sound excellent for harder blues/rock, but i'm so used to the soft attack and bloom of alnico 2 i'm kinda wanting to throw some a2's in just to see. i play straight up blues through a tweed 5d5 pro, and these have a little too much power for the amp, too much "rock" for me. any suggestions? these pickups aren't worth any money or anything right? i'm not gonna devalue them or this guitar by breaking some solder joints on the covers, am i?

this is going to sound insane, but i have a set of gfs alnico 2's that i unpotted,
replaced the smooth a2 mags with rough cast ones, and put back together without repotting, and they sound better to me than the seth lovers in my gibson right now. i suppose i just gotta try it all and see what happens.

also does anyone know what mounting rings fit this thing? the ones on it now are like 2mm shorter than the gibson rings i have, the screws won't line up. and i am NOT drilling into this guitar ,so?

The straight replacement should be Fernandes branded rings. That is what I used for my Burny to put it back to stock. They are easy to find here in Japan but I doubt they are easy to find there. They have the arched and the straight bottom varieties.

Just to correct: There were Burnys Japan made in early 2003 and I have seen some last year for sale, but have to check for a high model num,ber Ls-135 I guess,hard to see them however as far as most as chinese made.

I had 3 Burnys over the years, 2 Black Beauties early 80?s and a late 80?s. I prefer early ones. Headstock was bigger than Tokai LS-70 VF (2003) but smaller than '77 Greco EG-800.

Nice guitar you got.

Back