Timeline for Fender replicas

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Mac

Reaction score
Hello,

After a thread queryabout logo's and headtocks in the Timeline, I realised it hadn't been updated in nearly 8 or more years so I have now revised it.

Please let me know if I've missed anything or if things aren't clear before it becomes a permanent feature of my book. I am in the middle of proof reading now and looking for a publisher......

Peter Mac

Squares with what little I know. (Would also add that the presumably the replica bass guitars also followed similar patterns; my '83 Jazz Bass replica has a 'TOKAI' block logo, for example.)

One Q: was the 'TOKAI' block logo a UK-only or perhaps export-only thing? Because I'm not sure I've ever seen one from a JDM Ebayer, and may only have seen them in the UK in the early days.

Hi ampmaker

The Block logo, from what I've been able to gather from research and other TRF members, was used for around 6-9 months in 1983 with almost all of them sent to the UK. They included Springy, Goldstar, Breezy, P-Bass and J-bass.
I know for a fact no BLOCKS went to Australia and U.S. I am not sure about Europe unless they were bought from the UK importer, rather than the EU importer.

regards
Peter Mac

I once owned an ?italic logo? "Custom Edition" 70s strat
It was built exactly like a silverstar ss-36 but had ceramic pickups.

It had a 1985 serial number on the back cover (!) 5030680

so I think they used the ?italic logo? since 1985 at least.

In my experience some "Custom Edition" guitars are pretty close to the ST- / SS- / TE- production guitars.
I still have a" CE" TE-50 (sticker on back of the neck), built like a Breezysound all the way but has 22 frets :)

Tokai used italic Custom Edition logo for some heavy metal strats kind of too if I recall well.

We had a couple of Hard Punchers in Cambridge Rock in 1980 which had anodised scratchplates and the Fender-alike script logo, like the springies that came in the same day.
What a delivery! Six white ST80 Springies, two Hard Punchers and a Mesia Zoom amp!

Hi Pete, the Goldie St 50 which I bought in 83 (and still own)had a 3 piece script logo,When I say 3 piece I mean 3 separate decals."Tokai", then in small block capitals" made in japan by rock and roll fanatics" then" Goldstar sound".There is a fourth decal on the headstock with oldies but goldies as is expected.I have seen a few of these 3 piece logos over the years and the owners all verify that they were bought in 83.Gabe.

Back