Anyone else got an LS-150 relic from Coda?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinfan

Reaction score
I've just grabbed this beauty from Coda today - a used example of their relic run from last year - for just over ?500 with a hard case and delivery. A pretty good price I think, considering they were ?1000 new.

Anyone else on here got one? How do you find it? Do you know how many were produced?

SHJAPTOKAIRELIC.jpg

Hi,Ihave one of these relics also.It is absolutely my most favoured guitar.It just sounds and feels so right.
I believe only 12 were brought into the UK,so that makes them pretty exclusive.
I hope you are enjoying yours also.

Thanks JJ. I know they only made 12 of the Retrospec models, but this one is last year's relic with the UK headstock. Did they only make 12 of those too???

Twinfan - Is that you Dave ?

You've got a stunning guitar there at a Bargain Basement Price, well done sir :D

Give Bob Murdoch an email at Tokai UK to see if he know's how many were made. His details are on the Tokai UK Website.

What pickups are in it ?
Are they the Heusells like the retrospec ?

Chris

Hi Chris - I thought you might chip in, and yes it is I :wink:

The guitar should arrive today and I believe the pickups are Tokai PAF IIs. From what I can gather, they're a regular LS150 that was custom ordered to be relic'd at the factory. However, the guy at Coda I spoke to thought they were LS85F-ish spec (then relic'd) but the one new one they have on their site at ?750 is listed as an LS150 relic. Bizarre.

I'll email Bob at Tokai UK and find out exactly what it is - cheers for the contact.

:D

Well I've had a reply from Bob already - here's what he says:

we make the relics from LS85F base with Trev Wilkinson Gotoh pickups the relic process takes 2 months to complete and each one is done by hand so each one is an individual piece hope this helps

Best regards Bob Murdoch

I've asked him if he made a batch for Coda, and how many, because I'm sure they had several in stock late last year...

..and another reply:

Coda had 6 from us we get around 12 a year as it takes so long to produce

Best regards Bob Murdoch

Quite a rare beast then. I'd like to know who does the relic'ing....

Hi Twinfan,Mine must be from an earlier run as it has the Japanese market(no dimple) headstock.It also has no serial number which I believe to be the norm.Has yours arrived yet?
jj

It's at home and I'm at work! I'll check it out and report back here later...

Your must be a 2002 or 2003 model, JJ.

Well it's here and it's a cracker :D

The relic job is a bit strange as it's been lacquered over the top (???) but it looks great, feels great, sounds great and plays great. WHat more can you ask for???

sorry for me being stupid: but what's the point on an artificially reliced guitar?

it's just the looks, not the sound. and for a collector it's pointless anyway.

:eek:

rgrafend said:
for a collector it's pointless anyway. :eek:

To me a collector is someone who has loads of guitars kept locked away in cases and rarely played. That, in my humble opinion, is pointless, & reduces the supply of rare and gorgeous guitars available for those of us who want to play 'em. :cry:

Nice guitar Twinfan
Hey Rgrafend it might not be for you as this is a guitar for PLAYING not DUSTING.
jj

Back