My New ES120

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveWW

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum.......

Just purchased what I was told was a new ES120 Natural which I'm delighted with :lol: . I'd upload a pic but not sure how to........

It's got a couple of microscopic dings and some very very light buckle rash so they either didn't look after it in the shop or it's not new. I paid ?699 for it which is less than I've seen them go for on ebay so can't complain. I can never resist messing with things so I looked at the pickups and was surprised to find that they were Wilkinson WVCNs. Does anyone else have a Tokai with these on? I've got a Fender Cyber Deluxe amp and they sound really good through it but I'm curious as to whether they are original. :-?

Dave

I think the following link will provide a picture.

http://www.virginmediaphotos.co.uk/album/5303016

Dave

Apologies........... :oops:

The above doesn't let me post a full size public picture...........

Please try this one.

http://www.cig.canon-europe.com/ph/AIG/JlKmfaymKrCq0cac1o03ks3kskXL0003kskXLx2Urnr1c.jpg

Link edited - should work now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Hi Volker,

Thanks for the links. Very Nice pictures...........

Bought it from Back Alley Music near Chester

Mine doesn't have the red lable inside the F hole or a serial number on the back of the neck - just says Made In Japan.

Dave

TokaiES120.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Thanks, it plays and sounds great. I've never owned a 335 so I can't directly compare but the necks really nice and compares favourably to my PRS, USA Strat and the Les Paul I used to own. I really like it.

I'm still curious about the pickups though. Does anyone know if there is anyway if it could have been fitted with Wilkinsons originally? Also is it an ES120 or a ES135? It looks the same as royboy's 155.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Did Back Alley indicate the reasoning behind the missing orange label?
I have a ES120 which is a great guitar.Just curious about the label which has the serial number on it.
Lovely guitar by the way.

Hi JJ, No they didn't give any reason why the label might be missing but I didn't ask.... Are you sure that labels are always fitted? As mentioned above they did tell me it was new but I suspect it wasn't.

Dave

Dave,I'm pretty sure all ES guitars (MIJ) have the orange label with serial number.These have been known to come off over time but I feel it must have had one originally.Perhaps other members can shed some light.You say you didn't ask Back Alley about it?
jj

Hi JJ,

I've now asked Back Alley for more info on both the sticker and the pickups. I was hoping someone from the forum might have more info ref. the pickups but so far it doesn't look likely.

I'm really pleased with the guitat and sure all is legit but I might have to explain these things when/if I sell it in the future. Especially judging by the comments from you guys ref some of the ebay items :wink: Best to ask for their help whilst it's still a recent purchase.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I've an ES model myself, and must say I'm very happy with it ( even proud...). But seing your pics makes me a bit jealous!
Enjoy playing it!

Chrispie

DaveWW said:
Does anyone know if there is anyway if it could have been fitted with Wilkinsons originally? Dave

Although I could be wrong.

I have never heard of Wilkos being fitted to a ES120.

Price wise, you did Ok ( ish ) but Richtone are doing the newer ES130 for ?699

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-ES130-Electric-Guitar-Flame-Natural-Finish_W0QQitemZ280111824107QQihZ018QQcategoryZ112670QQcmdZViewItem

Coda are doing ES100 for ?679

http://www.coda-music.com/tokai.html

To be honest, with buckle rash you should have got a discount

Hi BilliWizz,

Your right about the Wilkos. It seems that there was a problem with the original pickups so they were changed for these. I was worried when I realised what they were but I think these particular pickups deserve a better reputation than they seem to have.

I guess your right about the buckle rash too - but you really have to look to see it. The main reason I bought is that I wanted to try it out before buying which I could do in the shop but not by mail order. I've found, as I'm sure you have too, that guitars vary a lot. I went throgh about 15 USA fender strats in the US before picking one to bring home!

Anyway in short I'm still really pleased with it - in fact the more I play it the more it grows on me :p

Latest posts

Back