God awful Orange/why I love my Tok's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
:eek: Three years ago I bought an 84' AST 56' off of Ebay, when I recieved the guitar I was pleased that it was everything the seller claimed it to be. The one thing that I wasn't crazy about was the colour, great tone and in flawless condition but I dubbed her "God Awful Orange" :lol: So I walk into Charley's Guitar Shop in Dallas and on the wall is a Custom Shop Fender 56' Closet Classic in "God Awful Orange"! So I laugh and say to the guy behind the counter" You have a God Awful Orange Strat Too!" He then informed me that this guitar is the highly regarded "Fiesta Red"! :oops: Boy did I feel stupid! At that moment my view of that guitar increased by 100 fold! The fact that I paid $350 dollars for a "Fiesta Red " Strat made me feel real good about my deal. Funny how my view of the "GAR" changed that instant ! When I aged the pup covers and knobs that colour looks great! I named her Hank! Have a great weekend, and to all in the U.S.A. Happy labor day! TG 8)

Quote: " I dubbed her God Awful Orange..."
" I named her Hank..."

Tokaiguy, deep down I know you know that all guitars are female, and you'd be right. What's Hank short for? :wink:

Hi TG ? love your little tales about things that happen ? always make me smile :) . Don?t think I?ve seen a ?GAR? (or Fiesta Red), ? ha? I?ll have too look out for one now. Yeah, we often say that tone & feel are all-important, & that?s true, but I still can?t bring myself to buy a guitar unless it?s more or less the right colour :roll: .

Hmm, ? Novosel?s right, Hank sure is a funny name for a girl :lol: .

Ian.

:eek: I thought for sure all you Brit's would of known why I named her Hank! She is a replica of" the Strat that launched a thousand ships" Hank Marvin and the Shadows! 8) Jeff Beck and all the players from that era refer to the "1st Strat seen in England" as the Fiesta Red maple neck of Hank Marvin! :lol: The colour came from the Dupont color chart of 1956, it's auto paint used on the 56' Ford Thunderbird. If you stare at it for a while you can see the Coral Pink in the paint. So find a photo of Hank Marvin, his strat's and Burns guitars are all this colour. Gary Moore's classic 62' strat is also Fiesta REd :wink: TG

:eek: By the wayFender did produce a "God Awful Orange" strat . The Capri Orange I saw one in a Strat book, under the picture reads "no class" :-? TG

Hi TG ? OK, now I get it ? Hank Marvin, of course, silly me. Now I know exactly what colour you mean, though I always think of it as a sort of pink-ish tint. Ah, yes ? Burns ?did they have that colour too? I remember them with a Black Bison model, ie way back around the time I bought that awful Rapier-33 (story here somewhere), chunky looking thing with two sharp horns (the Burns I mean), come to think of it the diabolical Rapier also had that same orange/pink/red-ish colour ? I suppose we had Hank to thank for that.

Ian.

:) Ian, I always knew you were a sharp guy! Burns is making a Fiesta Red Hank Marvin model as Fender Japan did back in the 90's. Hardly anyone in the states knows of Mr. Marvin, such a shame, We have the Ventures thats what led me to the Shadows . Check out Eastwood guitars they reissued the Eko Roke! Thats an odd beast! :-? I'm spending this weekend listening to nothing but the Greatness of Mr.Bill Nelson and Be Bop Deluxe! I completed my Be Bop CD collection this week with "Tremolus Antenna". I saw a copy of "Live in The Air-Age" for $125.00!! I got mine for $9.99! "God drive's an Air-Flow Chrysler on the streets of man..." 8) TG

:eek: If you have'nt heard Be Bop Deluxe do youself a favor and get a copy of "Live! In the Air-age" CD's are commanding top dollar but there are many LP's on Ebay that are priced reasonably. Bill Nelson is one of the most gifted guitarist ever! An ES345 and a Yamaha SG2000 thru a Carlsboro and Mesa Boogie are the tool's, You will like this stuff! 8) TG

?Sharp guy?,? oh yeah,.. heck I even had to be reminded twice who Hank Marvin was :oops: !

Sorry Novosel, we were having a little private conversation about the lyrics of Bill Nelson (Be Bop Deluxe); maybe it ain?t Proust, but his songs often include a nice little play on words such as ?Maid in Heaven, ? Knight on the Tiles?, and also little bits of his childhood nostalgia eg planes leaving smoke trails to write advertising signs in the sky (common sight over England after WW2 ended). Also delivered some tasteful guitar work on his trademark 335 (I think it was 335, a Gibbo semi at any rate), & often not in 4/4 time :-? .

Ian.

:eek: Ian, It was a ES 345 with Varitone and Parllegram inlay! He was the reasonI bought one! Check out "Adventures in a Yorkshire Garden" and the magnificent instumental "Shine" it will blowest thou away! 8) TG

Great live version of Maid in Heaven on one of the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' DVDs, I can't remember if it's the second or third one. Also check-out the King Crimson performance from 1980ish, it's amazing.

There is (or was) a Candy Apple Red (I think Tokai calls it Metallic Red) Tokai Silver Star at Songbird Music in Toronto that looks like it is fading to Godawful Orange ... It's kind of warped, isn't it, that people will pay thousands for a relic Strat that approximates the bad fading of automobile paint that was sprayed on guitars?

Have to admit that I've seen pics of a Fender Custom Shop 60s relic that is CAR over Sherwood Green, and it looks very, very cool. Ahh, if it only had a CBS headstock, I'd really be tempted ... :wink:

:D I have a 62' Fender Strat in CAR, but the undercoat is Shoreline Gold, the top coat is a trans red to achieve the CA finish. Is the Sherwood Green a new technique :-? Under the gold is a sunburst finish, they tell me many Custom colours are resprays. :wink: TG

Back