What is this!!?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHANTOMLORD

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2549845104&category=2384

It don't look right to me.

OH OH....those generally are veneer bodies. The paint job gives it away, I wouldn`t touch it with a 10 foot pick.

I have seen these guitars appear on e-bay described as 80's (one went for over $250). I don't believe it's MIJ. The dark stained cutaways are a dead giveaway. After checking past auctions the seller seems to be a reputable e-bayer. Maybe the seller is not aware of a mistake.
However when you add the shipping cost to the auction price, this guitar is way over the odds.
Caveat emptor!

On another note, this just goes to show the value of the Tokairegistry. Ned is going through a tough time balancing the costs of this site, so I urge everyone to send a donation no matter how small.
Come on, we don't want to risk losing this important resource! :wink:

Thanks

Tom.

The body shape and headstock just do not look correct + the position or shape of the scratchplate is odd too - do/did Tokai make budget models?

yes they make some very low end guitars. Pretty much cover all levels from 3000$ to a few hundred here in Japan.

The final price paid seems ok - I've seen some dodgy listings recently - a beat up Westone with an Ast neck listed as a 'rare Tokai Strat!' :roll:

Back