Please identify Tokai Tele

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulr

Reaction score
Link to Tokai Pic

Hi, I'm looking for some help identifying the guitar above. It's for sale locally and I'm thinking of buying it as a player, not for anything else. I know a fair bit about Fenders and own a few but I know nothing about Tokai's.

I've googled a bit and I assume this is a fairly recent model "Breezysound" ? however the current models seem to have 6 saddle bridges and as you can see this one has a three saddle ashtray bridge (which I prefer). The owner says he bought it new and that its entirely original and pretty much unplayed. Before I even asked any questions he said that it's not an 80's Tokai. I asked for numbers/marks/labels but he's out of town and not with the guitar to check it.

I'd like to find out what model this is, where it was made, any general points and opinions bad or good, things to watch for etc and if possible what it's worth in europe used in good condition (i.e how much should I pay for it!)

Thanks in advance for your help

paulr said:
Link to Tokai Pic

I've googled a bit and I assume this is a fairly recent model "Breezysound" ? however the current models seem to have 6 saddle bridges and as you can see this one has a three saddle ashtray bridge (which I prefer).

All the current models have 3 saddle bridges.

It's not a very recent model, the recent/current models have the truss rod nut on the headstock, the one in your photo doesn't.

I'm not sure what model it is, the two current models are an ATE70 and ATE100 (brass saddles).
The current Teles are VERY VERY GOOD.

Thanks for the info. I'm hopefully going to go see this guitar in the next 12 hours or so, any idea what would be a faire price?

Is that a trick of the light, or is the body colouring very mismatched?

If it's as obvious as that in person, I would't buy it unless the price was super low compared to other Breezysounds.

ampmaker said:
Is that a trick of the light, or is the body colouring very mismatched?

If it's as obvious as that in person, I would't buy it unless the price was super low compared to other Breezysounds.

I'm hoping it's the lighting that is exaggerating the colour difference, although it's certainly not well matched grain wise. It looks to me like a four piece body. That doesn't bother me, my no 1 guitar is a 73 tele that has a similarly bad matched four piece ash body.

It now looks like I won't get to see it till Monday. Still no clues to value, origin, model?

Thanks

I'm not sure where you are from, be aware that many people switch off necks and bodies of fender style guitars, you might only be getting a Tokai neck. I'm not enough of an expert that i can tell you just by looking at it whether that's 100 % Tokai. I bought a tokai breezy not that long ago and the neck looks identical, like Diamond says the trussrod adjuster is at the headstock, great guitar, i bought used for I think $470 but guitars are worth more in different countries so really it'sm hard for me to give you an idea of what you should offer.

Good Luck.

Thanks for that. The seller did say that it's all original and I think he said that he bought it new. Of course there is no guarantee about anything when you buy used but he sounded straight.

The main thing for me of course is how it plays and sounds but I do like to know as much as possible about the model before buying a used guitar.

For info I'm in France. If I do get it I'll post some detailed pics and a full description.

Back