ZAKK WYLDE TOKAI BULLSEYE LES PAUL COPY

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
space_114 said:
.... I wouldn't trust the "word" of the Tokai president if the case any further than i could dwarf toss the little guy :D Im not trying to be an arse ..

I'd take his word over any over guitar company CEO...

Tokais are no hype no marketing guitars, just resting their sales and reputation on the quality of their products. "Word of mouth" from users to potential buyers.

They are consistent and straightforward, not something you could say about Fender or Gibson - Even if their product numbering sometimes drives me nuts.

The fact is that they cannot compete against Epiphone or Squier so they had to come up with something in order to offer decent guitars at a lower price point, which is impossible in Japan where the labour is too expensive. So woods were of a lesser quality, fast dried - the hardware was not Japanese and the labour was provided in Korea. Sometimes this is the price to pay in order to survive - it does not make Tokai or their president untrustworthy, does it? Yes factories in Korea make a whole range of brands but THIS IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE...do you really think all Fenders are made by Fender employees?

Trying to access a lower tier of the market is not a crime. By contrast releasing branded guitars without consent from the brand owner is a crime. How would you feel if you were running a company making goods in Asia and found out your supplier is abusing your name and taking money from your bank account in the process?

Yes I did mention fast dried wood because this is what is available at this price point, both in Tokais MIK and copies like yours. I was chatting with a builder not so long ago (for a prestigious brand) and he referred to this as ''oven dried''. He proceeded to explain that the maple tops he uses sometimes cost more than a complete MIC guitar.

What I am trying to say is you can think whatever you like about Tokais MIJ or MIK, it does not make your copy a custom shop instrument. I trust you when you say it is great but I am just saying it is still made of cheap fast dried species hence the price. While this is surely more than acceptable I think we can all agree your don't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

And please do not think I am being a snob, I still have Korean and Mexican guitars, I just know they are lower tier instruments and love them to bits. You finally said you were owning Gibsons and so on, we pretty much all do here or have done at some point...while they are iconic I would not rate them high in honesty (ooops...FBI swoop at the factory relating to FAKE import documents for their wood) or consistent (have you seen their QC?) or honorable (please check how their treat their staff - the info is available online). They live on their past and the misconception their guitars are what they used to be 50 YEARS AGO...the Gibson factory is an industrial operation involving the build of thousands of guitars every month.

Well said ...I totally agree .... It's just a matter of how decent the offshore MIK Tokais or Fakais are for the $$$ either way both are better then EPI's for the money ... As for Gibsons and Fenders just as you said .. they bang out thousands of untis a month ...certainly not what they used to be that's for sure !! if i see another "Collector or Tribute" Gibby or Fender i am going to hurl as they have totally decimated what a collector guitar should be rather than just another marketing ploy to sell more guitars .. only a matter of time before they have a Justin Beiber collector Gibby !! ... They already have a Jonas Brothers collector !! better hurry and get one before they sell out or go up in value !! as for Asain honesty ... trust me there isn't any ..I wouldn't trust an asain CEO like i said ... dealt with hundreds of them from some of the biggest household brands ... they are all the same when it comes to $$$ .. they do show you a good time though !! ... anyway appreciated your comments .. totally bang on ! :wink:

I used to have an old MIK Love Rock - that guitar was nicely built so I would expect Fakai to be in the same ballpark and therefore a good quality guitar.

To tell you the truth I went on a shopping trip last December as I wanted an ESP. I was very disappointed by the guitars I tried and ended up buying my MIK PRS which regardless of the price was the better guitar. I know the woods used will not compare with ESP but the build, set-up and overall playability were better.

Thew tone is a matter of personal taste so I won't comment on that.

They are incredibly sweet but need tuners - once this change is done you have a great guitar.

In short the build is fantastic so is the playability but at this price point the tuners suck!

Funny you should mention a PRS SE ... I bought one the minute they came out this time last year ... I have the 25th anni custom 24 .. A real beautiful guitar .. It was a toss up between the ESP or the PRS for me also .. both really nice and i was leaning towards the ESP because of the floyd rose but the PRS just felt better overall for me and the build of it was solid and the p/u's and action are just beautiful. Have to agree though on the tuners .. not the greatest but to be expected for that price point ... There ok though ... the guitar stays in tune...

Mine doesn't stay in tune that well but it it tuned to Drop C# and it takes a real punishment - as it should really considering it is used to cover some Black Label Society stuff and other nasty music.

Totally agree on the build quality though - I am waiting to try the SE245 and see how it compares with my USA SC245 (hopefully not too well!!!)

When you compare the price difference ... The SE i think will surprise you .. sure the top doesn't have that nice round finish and all those other high end features .. close your eyes and listen and the difference $$$ and feel will be minimal ..

In South Africa a PRS SE, and an ESP LTD costs almost the same as a MIJ Tokai LS92.

Both the ESP LTD and PRS SE are very very nice guitars, but they do not compare to a made in Japan LS92.

A made in Japan ESP is in the same league as a made in Japan Tokai, in fact when comparing them side by side they look as though they're made in the same factory, even the woods are the same.

Thing is, ESP endorses a bunch of "famous" guitarists, and so does PRS, and that's the reason 90% of amateur guitarists buy them...the "advertising" and endorsements work.

Back