why does weight bother ppl so much????

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveRocksRule

Reaction score
i have a lot of friends who ***** about lez pauls sayin "man those guitars are just far to heavy!!!" i dont think they are heavy and im not a big muscly guy neither just regular built..... and i can play my les paul til the sun goes down and not get a sore back..... also the sound comes from the materials the axe is made from, annd its a huge slab of mahogany for the back and neck and al so the maple cap...... i have mostly played les paul styled guitars aside from some ibanez rg models that i have owned and to be honest i found that the lighter guitars i had sounded nuthin like any of the les pauls i have had!!!!!!

the heavier the guitar the better if u ask me but we each have our own opinions

Les Paul's very wildly when it comes to weight. I hadn't really played many different ones over the years and only owned a Norlin-era LP Deluxe (1979). In the last couple years I've played more Les Pauls and have come to the conclusion that yes, there is such a thing as a "too heavy" Les Paul - mine. :) That **** Deluxe weighs close to 12 lbs! That being said, a ten pounder now feels light to me. :)

Jim

12 pounds is a fair old wight especially if yer playin like a 2 or 3 hour set thats for sure

From what I've gathered hanging around various forums, heavy guitars were favoured in the 70's because weight supposedly increased sustain (though I don't think there's any actual proof of this - too many variables. Would have made a good excuse for all that crappy wood that fender and gibson were using too).

However, those 70's sustain lovers have aged by about 30 years and three decades of gigging with norlin-era boat anchors have taken their toll on all those lower spines. Nowadays, the fashion is for light guitars because they're more resonant and toneful (supposedly), but also because they won't give you a perforated disc.

I think a lot of it is down to build, stance and guitar height rather than the actual guitar's physical weight.

I'm an average height, average build etc, etc, but can quite happily play my Love Rock's for ages quite comfortably, the guitar is hung low, sort of groin height which I have always found to be comfortable for me, even when the bass was my main instrument. Other physical problems I have now make me sit down rather than player fatigue. So instead of standing in front of them mirror setting your gear so you look cool, set it up so it's comfortable FOR YOU! If you're reasonably fit & healthy, then there should be no reason why you can't stand and play for ages with your chosen instrument if it's set up correctly for you.

IMO o' course. ;)

Supposedly, the original Lespaul specs , specified weight. Hence everyone tries to get an LP along those lines.

Modern gibsons use cheap n heavy mahogany, and this dictates weight relief holes in order to bring it down to spec weight. Tokais dont need this since my MIJ was the same weight as a weight relieved Gibson LP, or so i want to think :).

math2014 said:
.....Modern gibsons use cheap n heavy mahogany, ....
and soft maple instead of hard maple.... :x

See as well
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4434 Answer#5

I have tendonitis that flares up occasionally, and a heavy guitar with the strap cutting off some circulation to your arm isn't good for this. I play lots of club-date style gigs, 4 or sometimes even 5 hours, and over time the weight of my Gibson ES-347 wears on me. I always bring my old Jazzmaster on those gigs.

Latest posts

Back