What's the difference??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jertum

Reaction score
Hi there.

I'm new to this forum. I own a Korean-made, wine red Love Rock (quilt top).

I'm looking to upgrade to a Japanese Love Rock as i've heard they're great guitars and are pretty close to Gibsons (which i'll never be able to afford!).

I've been looking on eBay recently at a number of Jap LPs; mostly those listed by 'Rich Tone Music'. I'm confused as to what the difference is between the LS75, LS80, LS85, 90 and so on...

Prices seem to range from ?579 to around ?800. What's the reasoning behind this?

Also, there's a second hand goldtop on there that looks pretty nice

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOKAI-GOLD-TOP-LOVE-ROCK-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ280323283125QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item280323283125&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Cheers!

Hi There

Suppose i should answer this...especially given that my E-mails are completely broken at the minute....it'll be like doing some work!!! ;0)

OK - the model range creeps up in spec as the price goes up. The range you are looking at are pretty much the same guitar with extra bits of pimping as you move up the range.

So an LS75 is 2 piece back, maple cap, normally has a solid finish on it, like black or white...or even gold.

The LS80 is the same guitar, but this time it has a see through finish on it, normally Violin Finish, Cherry Sunburst or even Wine Red. The maple is visible through the finish so they have to try and pick nice clean bits of plain maple. The price notches up a tad because of this.

Then you have an LS85F (F = Flame Top) this is the same as the above guitars with the addition of a flame vaneer on top of the maple cap. These are normally available in Sunubrst finishes only...sometimes the odd wine red one comes through.

LS90Q same again, but this time with quilted maple on top. You're at the ?700 or just over at this stage.

At each stage the trade price goes up a chunk, so the price increases across the range. After this point price wise there starts to be some significant changes in build and the price rockets up a bit further.

It's like anything really, you get what you pay for, but like speccing up a PC or a car on the options list.

This is the "short" answer. Anything else - just post and myself or other users on here will chip in.

Cheers

Thanks for that Richard; appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions. Just having to save up for a while before I can afford to order. Was going to go for a Gibson but the shop wouldn't let me pay the guitar off in installments, even with the guitar staying in the shop til i paid for it! Do the guitars come with hard cases normally?

Cheers,
Jonny

Hiya

Nope not in the UK i'm afraid, they "do" show up from time to time, but getting them in any serious qty seems to be an impossibility.

Best wishes

Latest posts

Back