well heres my guitar after my homejob attemp at relicing...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveRocksRule

Reaction score
hi guys,

heres what my guitar hardware looks like now....

i got some stuff for rubbing metal down for painting, it juswt gives it a rough kinda effect...

but i kinda overdid the tailpiece and took all the nickel finish of her....

anyway i kinda like the look of it and thats what counts at the end of the day aint it...

basically i have jus taken the shine off the p/up covers so that u cant see ur reflection in them anymore... i hate shiny things!!!!!!

check out the pics....

i am presuming that all u guys and gals think i am off my head for doind this to a brand new guitar.... but if u think this is bad i will post some pics of my ibanez to let u see what i did to her the first day i got it...

anyway heres the pics....

DSCF0677.jpg

DSCF0675.jpg

DSCF0676.jpg

as i said i think she looks better like this... but i am unsure whats gonna happen to the tailpiece seeing how i have rubbed all the nickel off... will anything drastic happen to it????

oh and also guys and girls...

is it brass that is underneath the nickel??? because i dont knw if u can see it in the pics but i rubbed the saddles down and they nook like they are brass... and also the tailpiece where i rubbed all the nickel coating off, it looks like brass as well.... does anyone know if it is brass or not????

They won't be Brass probably an alloy. they plate the alloy with Brass then the Nickel. The brass finish makes the Nickel easier to apply.

Les

so L:es if i kept rubbing the tailpiece it would give me an alloy finish instead of brass?

because the bridge on my 7 string has been rubbed down also with the same stuff i used oin my tokai and it has an alloy finish... which basically looks like a proper aged tailpiece... so taking the brass off shoukld give me a similar effect???

i will take pics of my ibanez bridge and send u them to show u what i mean coz its hard to explain

Dave

I think it looks great. I love that dull finish on hardware.
Relicing is a touchy process that doesn't always work out. I built a Telecaster copy a few years ago and when my blonde finish had some defects i decided to "relic" it. It turned out OK but would have looked a lot better if i didn't relic it as much as i did. It definitely requires the art of being subtle.

The brass finish will be a lot thicker than the nickel finish and I think you would have problems getting it all off.
Just to make sure, try it on the underside of the bridge. Brass is a lot more expensive than alloy so I wouldnt think it's Brass also its a lot heavier .

Les

thanks black keys for the compliment...

i was scared to go ahead and do it so i tried it on my 7 string ibanez bridge and it took it back to a really nice dull finish so i thought what the hell i will go for it on the Toka...

and i pretty like it...

and also thanx les i never thought about doing it on the underside of the tailpiece first... stupid me!!!!!

i hope i can get her back to the alloy coz i love that look

thanks guys...

Dave

blackkeysfan said:
I think it looks great. I love that dull finish on hardware.
Relicing is a touchy process that doesn't always work out. I built a Telecaster copy a few years ago and when my blonde finish had some defects i decided to "relic" it. It turned out OK but would have looked a lot better if i didn't relic it as much as i did. It definitely requires the art of being subtle.

the hardware is the only bit i am gonna relic... i aint gonna touch the body finish,... im gonna let that happen naturally because most axes i get end up gettin bashed about all the time so it should take long for her to get aged in that department :lol:

mercman said:
They won't be Brass probably an alloy. they plate the alloy with Brass then the Nickel. The brass finish makes the Nickel easier to apply. Les
On my ALU tailpiece it is: 1. ALU, 2. Copper, 3. Nickel

togps said:
mercman said:
They won't be Brass probably an alloy. they plate the alloy with Brass then the Nickel. The brass finish makes the Nickel easier to apply. Les
On my ALU tailpiece it is: 1. ALU, 2. Copper, 3. Nickel

Yes your right, my mistake I should have said copper not brass

yeah i just give her another wee rub down on the bit that went thru to the copper and sure thing its going thru to a nice dull alloy...

the effect that i was needing so i will wait until i restring again and do the whole tailpiece....

thanks for that guys....

Back