VI Strat Pickup Feedback

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratmann

Reaction score
Today I installed a set of Tokai VI stamped pickups with disappointing results. Feedback!!! When dialing in a bit of gain at the amp I get feedback even if I dampen the strings.

I don't have this problem with other Tokai pickups. I own E- and U-stamped and also Fender, Lindy Fralins and Kloppmann. No problems.

Is it usual? Are they defect? What can I do?

Don't know about tokai VI pickups but I had something like that once and it turned out I'd wired it badly. I think two wires that shouldn't have been touching were shorting out.

Dave

It depends what you mean by feedback. If it's only at higher volume it may be that the pickups are microphonic - if so, wax potting should cure this. It's not an uncommon problem with Strat pickups, particularly Japanese ones.

Having said that, I was never very impressed with the VI pickups, & I don't know why Tokai changed from the Us to VIs.

Mike

Stratmann said:
But if you produced a shortcut, it shouldn't work at all, should it?

Mike, don't know but it did! I think it was a short/bad connection at the output jack but don't remember really. My electrical knowledge is not up to much at all - and I didn't think yours was either :wink:

I solved the problem by wax potting the pickups. Great improvement. No microphonic feedback anymore, even with high gain settings.

I used the pickups for a funny strat project. I used a 99 Euro Squier Bullet. Than I changed the tuners, the saddles, the tremolo block, the pickguard incl. the pots, switch and pickups, worked a bit on the frets, removed the ugly logo. You wouldn't believe it. It's a fantastic guitar now. It can compete with all me others.

Thanks for your replies! Great forum for great guitars!!

Latest posts

Back