Van Zandt, PGM, Moon?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btmish

Reaction score
Are these all the same company? And which are the best of these guitars? I have a freind flying into Japan and would like to see if he can pick one of these up for me. Are the Van Zandts the top of the line? Thanks, I am on a strat buying spree, oh no.

PGM is the manufacturer...they make Moon, Van Zandt as well as others...but shop staff don`t wanna tell me more...I had to find out about the Moons and VZs on my own...for some unknown reason shop staff in this city refues to divulge that kind of info. One thing for sure...PGM makes very high end guitars, nothing they make can be considered entry level stuff...I own a VZ strat. Another guitar your friend should watch for is the Seymour Duncan line that used to be made by ESP...they look to be the same guitars as the Navigators but with Seymours name on the headstock...this year things changed however, he altered his line-up and drastically reduced the number of models and I believe though I`m not certain...they are no longer made by ESP...he should look for the older, precise Fender replicas...outstanding guitars...I own one from each series. The Traditional series were his low ends but don`t be fooled by that...they are very well made guitars and used they are a steal.
Of course all these guitars will cost...a lot...even used, and they go fast when they show up at all. Crews is another fine builder over here...there are so many...get your friend to bring a digital camera so he can mail you pics of what he sees while here.

Well, I found a Moon on ebay and bought it. I will try to post some pictures when it arrives. Guess I'll have my friend look for a Van Zandt or Duncan. Those JF edwards relics look nice too (there is also one on ebay for 799 I think)

Anyway, this moon is a strat style but only has one tone knob and one volume knob. Tone knob apparently works on all the pick up configurations (push-pull). It has a Mahogany body which should be interesting. Not sure how that will be in a strat, hopefully real nice. Has "monster tone" pickups which I think are PGM origanals. $530 shipped.

I think these must be the ones. Doesn't Schecter and PGM have a history? I am thinking schecter were made by PGM at some point in time, or vice versa. Anyway, after your suggestion, I did some research and found some schecter strats that look VERY similar to this moon I bought. They have the moster tone picks ups, as well as the two knob(one vol, one tone) push pull design. hmm.

not sure who used to make the MIJ line of Schecters...models were named after different US states. In this city I see those...but I haven`t seen new catalogs for those models in a few years, so maybe out of production... and the very expensive Schecters that sell for thousands. Never picked up one of the real expensive ones so I don`t know where they`re made. Got an MIJ model for my brother in law`s Christmas gift a few years ago and he loves it.

sneakyjapan said:
..... not sure who used to make the MIJ line of Schecter ...

Tokai do make MIJ Schecter.
See also my posting here:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4454

I was not aware about it,Schectar were ESP made few time ago.I didi knew Washburn Nuno Bethancourt was Tokai made however.Nice,nice....it seems a lot of well know brands are asking Tokai to make some models for their lineup,so they are so busy.This could be a reason about Tokai own brand delay, I can understand it....

"Currently PGM is only producing high-end guitars
such as VanZandt Guitars, Moon, and its original brand PGM.
They used to make Schecter guitars once. In 1978, they
started to sell 22fret replacement necks for Fender Strat.
This commonly used "plus-one fret" neck was their idea"

http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/vanzandte.asp

Looks like PGM used to make Schecter too, I found a few other places online that state similar. I wish I knew more about these moons. I got mine, and it is quite nice!

Latest posts

Back