MKII Meaning?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to further underscore how inobvious it is that MKII means second position, look again at the 2000s.

Specifically look at what Tokai calls the MK2-S pickup circa 2015.

MK2-S Humbucker Pickups

The MK2S was offered simultaneously with the MK2.

I have found 2, maybe 4 different MK2-S pickups. So again, what is an MKI in that scnario?

Clear as mud...

I think you have to look at the evolution of these names, and in this case the MKII may have gotten divorced from its original meaning over time.

Last edited:
Here in the 1991 catalog specs I see an MKI mention in the LS150 and ES models.

MK3 again for the ST40 (ceramic).

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 3.54.25 PM.png

1994 catalog

TOS-1 seems to be in the position of what is later called an MK4

ST60 and 80 seemingly gone from the product line, so nothing above the MKII.

You can clearly see the shift to lower spec models. At the same time, Tokai is making higher spec guitars with Fender on the headstock....

Tokai "Made In" & "Crafted In" Fenders

Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 9.00.46 AM.png

LOL...now you are beginning to see my confusion.

I have been asking for some time what the heck these TOS-1 things are.

And the lighter gauge wire pickups in genera;l that you see all the way into the mid to late 2000s.

I am inclined to think of the TOS-1K pickups as MK4, but notice the MIJ AST50 Goldstars in 2003 have them.

if you want to save on wire and magnet slugs and still have decent output voltage from a pickup, ceramic is the way
Looks like that's what they wanted and what they did - just saw one (MK3 ceramic from a TST40) for sale on Reverb, unfortunately only stating in text that it's 4.5kΩ. Edit: Another one with 4.1kΩ. Yuck.

Last edited:
Looks like that's what they wanted and what they did - just saw one (MK3 ceramic from a TST40) for sale on Reverb, unfortunately only stating in text that it's 4.5kΩ. Edit: Another one with 4.1kΩ. Yuck.
I've got a set of those Mk3 from my TST40 kicking about, I'll measure them later but that seems about right.

I'd say don't bother, there's a reason why these end up in drawers, ready for measurements. :)

(Again, not saying they're all bad - I have an old China cheapo with 6.9/7.x something overwound coils and "ceramic" bars (which makes sense) and swapping them for a (Mojotone) noiseless set was actually a step backwards!)

I'd say don't bother, there's a reason why these end up in drawers, ready for measurements. :)
Haha, in 40 years these might be selling for a fortune with everyone clamouring for the Tokai mkIII sound 😆

I would like to know what readings you get if you get the chance. I don't think I have any for these.

Back