Unknown Goldstar? Please comment! Thanks! Many pics, sorry!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi!

As I posted in another thread I got this arctic white recently from Japan. I now cleaned her a bit and I maintain my believe that this could be a Goldstar with ST80 specs. She also feels and sounds like a high-end Tokai. Endless sustain and the body really vibrates.

However, a few bits don't match:

- the pickup stamps look as if the "E" was stamped after the former stamp "V-II?" was removed. However, the sound is EXACTLY as on my other ST80s with DiMarzios
- the body clearly is 2 layers but not plywood; can some of you identifiy the wood? I brushed off some paint in the trem cavity and you can also see it at some of the other pics
- the neck (soft V) has exactly the same dimensions as an '80 ST80 I got, but has not Tokai date stamp

Sorry for the large amount of pics. :(

Any comment/analysis is really welcome!

Cheers! Rupert
IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0516-1.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Huuh???? :eek:
Rup, sorry, are you crazy? How can you buy such a pimped guitar?
Even, AFAIK, you don't look for a player, as you are a high sophisticated collector.
The body is definetively not a ST Tokai.
BTW, maybe it's a good player?? :wink:

Hi guys,

the pics are real clear and precise but it looks as though the only thing Tokai are the pickups and wiring.
Body is TOTALLY wrong and the neck should have a stamp on it, even with the Floyd Rose leftovers.
good to hear it has sustain and plays well...

Peter Mac

Hi!

Forgot to mention: this one came as part of a larger shipment. Including taxes/customs and shipping landed costs in Austria were USD 182.-- for this one.

Just to heat you heat you up: another one is an unplayed '79 (and I MEAN MINT, and I say she was never touched before) Les Paul Reborn including all tags. And the original case!

As you said: body is wrong, no doubt. However, the pups really sound like DiMarzios, altough somebody apparently rigged the stamps. Is there any way to determine if the pups are really "E" (beside my ears)?

Do you have any ideas who made this neck? It definitely is the same quality as on my ST80s. I'd even say it's above an '82 I got from another forum member.

Cheers! Rup

The tuners seem to be stamped "Deluxe" only. As far as I know only Tokai used that and also Fender for a reissue model at some point (newer reissues have unmarked Klusons). I have a set of what I thought were Tokai (Gotoh) Deluxes but the "Deluxe" letters are slightly different (almost not noticeable). The neck doesn't look like a Tokai neck though and definitely not the body.

Mike

Hi Mike!

Thanks. Do you have any idea who could have manufactured this neck?

Cheers! Rupert

rgrafend said:
Hi Mike!

Thanks. Do you have any idea who could have manufactured this neck?

Cheers! Rupert

No, sorry but I have no idea. It seems to be a quality neck, just look at that rosewood, it's beautiful! It might be an old japanese Fernandes or ESP neck.

Mike

Back