Need Help With Identifying Goldstar Sound, Thanks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delaney

Reaction score
High there,

I have bought this Tokai Goldstar Sound Strat.
I dont know the year, not model number. Im pretty sure it is 1 guitar.
The end of the headstock was rounded off for the correct fender shape.
Guitar pretty much immaculate.
Some kind of 50's re-issue, tinted neck and aged parts.
No stamps, dates, nothing.
Funny 1 inch shim just below the centre seem on body otherwise would be two piece. Dont think its alder, looks more like basswood or ash, cant tell.

Here is a link to the pics

http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j348/delaney_779/

Would very much appreciate any help.
She plays great, better than a 2004 fender deluxe I just sent back :)
Neck is amazing and the tuners are very good. Staggered poles too.
Non stamped trem.
Sorry for doubling thread, didnt have pics in the last one.

:)

Kindest Regards

Hi, Delaney -

The body doesn't look like a Tokai to me. I'd have expected the code in the body to be stamped, rather than a sticker, and a different format. The saddles don't look right and don't have anything stamped on them.

Has the neck got a code stamped on the end? I'd have expected that on a Tokai neck. And is the made in Japan sticker hidden between the body and the neck? I can't see it on the photo with the neck attached. That doesn't look right to me. And it doesn't have anything stamped on the back of the tuners, either.

Regards,

CW

High thanks for your reply.

There are no stamps or written markings of any kind.
However, I would think that it was 1 guitar.
It would have taken an unreasonable amount of time to pull this off (if it was a fake.
The compound under the scratchplate, the slight stick when taking off the neck.
I cant see why someone would go to such lengths.
The guy said he bought it in the early 90's from a tokai dealer (shop) in doncaster for ?450 or around that.
The neck and scratch plate looks like it had never been removed and the neck is definitely jap. The electronics are jap, and they look more 90's then 80's.
It had the newer headstock but the guy asked for them to round it off.
Is there a chance that the later 90's models didnt always have the same decals as the 80's ones?
Its obviously not a korean or chinese model.

There wasn't a "later" 90's model with the correct Fender headstock. Looking at yours neck, it should be an 84 or 85 but I don't know if they had Made In Japan on the base of the neck.... also as others have mentioned, the body and everything in it aren't correct

Latest posts

Back