Twin Vintage Tokai Rare Brown Case and Blondes

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jselect

Reaction score
Today, a rare vintage Tokai hard case with brown covering and pink lining,
and a 1982 TE-55N arrived at my house.

I happened to get 1981 ES100RN with rare brown-covered hard case that I got earlier.
Both blondes sound great.

20230306_113227.jpg20230306_113302.jpg20230306_113413.jpg20230306_113532.jpg20230306_113649.jpg

I was just collected catalog shots for ST cases and was surprised at how short lived they were in general.

None (ST cases) in catalogs after 1985.

TOKAI Strat Cases

So any non- LP Tokai cases are rare as it turns out....

Last edited:
I was just collected catalog shots for ST cases and was surprised at how short lived they were in general.

None (ST) in catalogs after 1985.

TOKAI Strat Cases

So any non- LP Tokai cases are rare as it turns out....
Yes, you are certainly right. It was miraculous for me to be able to get two rare brown cases in a very short period of time. It's like being pulled.

This is the case "SA150" for ES100RN.
20230226_105859.jpg20230306_113859.jpg
Please note that even the hardware on the handle of the case is gold. The handle for the Strat type has the same handle and metal fittings, but it is not gold. It's interesting to see the difference in details.

chuckyz2, me too.

I hope you find a Brown case for your exceptional ES150.
If I find it in the Japan market, I'll let you know right away.
You are too kind. I am not going to hold my breath though. Like you said, yours is the only one you have seen ever in your several decades of interest in Tokai guitars. I will settle for the black case. I am probably crazy, but I seriously believe these old Tokais are going to be worth a lot in the future. That old wood will never again be available. Kind of like the original Gibson LP and ES Guitars. Just not as extreme. And then so will be the cases and case candy. The excellence of these guitars have already gained a lot and their prices are rapidly going up. But let's keep that between us. : ) I hope to own a LS-150 or LS-200 someday. before they are out of reach.

You are too kind. I am not going to hold my breath though. Like you said, yours is the only one you have seen ever in your several decades of interest in Tokai guitars. I will settle for the black case. I am probably crazy, but I seriously believe these old Tokais are going to be worth a lot in the future. That old wood will never again be available. Kind of like the original Gibson LP and ES Guitars. Just not as extreme. And then so will be the cases and case candy. The excellence of these guitars have already gained a lot and their prices are rapidly going up. But let's keep that between us. : ) I hope to own a LS-150 or LS-200 someday. before they are out of reach.
I think your prediction that vintage Tokai up to the early 1980s will eventually rise in price is correct. In fact, the price is still rising.

I also think that the wood of that time was selected and made over time.

I played the 1981 ES100RN again today and I feel that the stiffness of the very thick mahogany neck is great and affects the tone. It feels a "solid feel" similar to a vintage Gibson mahogany neck in your hand.

I think your prediction that vintage Tokai up to the early 1980s will eventually rise in price is correct. In fact, the price is still rising.

I also think that the wood of that time was selected and made over time.

I played the 1981 ES100RN again today and I feel that the stiffness of the very thick mahogany neck is great and affects the tone. It feels a "solid feel" similar to a vintage Gibson mahogany neck in your hand.
I never played a real vintage ES, But mine plays and sounds amazing. It is very lively and resonant. The feedback/feel when turned up is amazing when you are the right distance from the amp. The neck is a little sticky. I like worn or sanded necks. But since this one is Cashew and a rare beast, I am not going to sand it. I want to though, because it is mine and I play it. : (

I like worn or sanded necks. But since this one is Cashew and a rare beast, I am not going to sand it. I want to though, because it is mine and I play it. : (
Maybe consider selling it and getting what you want rather than altering a rare guitar?

I have a different opinion. The blonde ES150 is very rare, so I think chuckyz2 should hold the guitar carefully and enjoy playing.

What are your thoughts about him sanding the neck on one of the few guitars that Tokai made with a cashew finish?

If he doesn’t like the feel of it then maybe consider something else. That’s all I’m saying.

We’ve all bought and sold many, many guitars. If you’re not bonding with it pass it along.

I’m getting the impression he bought it on line and didn’t know how that finish would feel. Nothing wrong with that. I have a TE120 with a cashew finish. It is a little more tacky than nitro.

More fish in the sea.

But I wouldn’t change it irreversibly. The next person will probably have different thoughts about it.

Rare guitar. And gorgeous.

What are your thoughts about him sanding the neck on one of the few guitars that Tokai made with a cashew finish?

If he doesn’t like the feel of it then maybe consider something else. That’s all I’m saying.

We’ve all bought and sold many, many guitars. If you’re not bonding with it pass it along.

I’m getting the impression he bought it on line and didn’t know how that finish would feel. Nothing wrong with that. I have a TE120 with a cashew finish. It is a little more tacky than nitro.

More fish in the sea.

But I wouldn’t change it irreversibly. The next person will probably have different thoughts about it.

Rare guitar. And gorgeous.
He said, "I play it". That's all, his answer.

You left out the part just before “I play it”.

“….The neck is a little sticky. I like worn or sanded necks. But since this one is Cashew and a rare beast, I am not going to sand it. I want to though, because it is mine and I play it. : ( “

Meaning it’s his business what he does… And it is.

I’m just advising caution before doing something that can’t be reversed on such a rare guitar.

You might check out this thread to see where I’m coming from. I’ve seen some real heart breaking modifications. These are just a few.

Rodent Like Routs, Wood Pecked Holes, & Other Assorted Butchery

I understand your opinion very well.

I didn't abbreviate it. He said earlier that he knew the neck is a little sticky, but still had no intention of sanding. On top of that, that guitar is mine and Ihe say I play it. I mentioned that last intention.

I also hate mods like some guitars you mentioned, and I think he wants the ES150 to remain as it is.

Maybe consider selling it and getting what you want rather than altering a rare guitar?
Lol. You didn't read my post very carefully. I said, "I am not going to sand it." Don't panic. I know what I have. I do want to sand it to make it feel better and more what I am used to, but I am not going to do it. I'm not even going to hit with scotchbrite or steel wool.

I have sanded necks on guitars that are worth more than this one. I have a 2019 59 CS Strat 3TS I bought new, open box, NOS. I wanted a relic one but they are too expensive. So I reliced it myself, and have no qualms about doing it. They are worth more that way. And it is a joy to play with the smooth neck. I bought a heavy relic 2019 CS Nocaster that came with the neck sanded. And it is nicked dinged and worn. I got a great deal on that one and it is worth over 4k now. I sanded the neck on my 81' LS-60 and have no regrets. And I sanded the neck last night on My LS-80. Again, no regrets because it is so much better. Just like any vintage guitar that get played for decades, the finish on the neck wears off over time. Yes, it is better when happens naturally, but I'm too old to wait for that to happen. With this ES, I feel like it will only continue to become a serious collector and be worth a lot of money someday. It is a beauty. No matter how much I want to, that thing is not getting sanded. I have a lot of guitars and I play them all. So none of them will ever get played hard enough to naturally wear the necks in. But if you look at some real vintage ES335's, the worn necks don't hurt the value. The best players in the world love them like that. And a lot of them have heavily worn necks, dings, arm wear, pick scratches, checking etc. And it gives them character and makes them one of a kind. And to me that stuff is ultra cool. Because once you paly a well worn in guitar, a new feeling guitar does not feel good. But again, to me this ES is very special and I will preserve it. I am very careful with it but I am going to play it. A guitar that doesn't get played is a sad guitar. That wood wants to vibrate. It makes them sound better as they age. So they say. But it makes sense to me. So relax guys. I will be a good curator of this special piece of Tokai History. One of these days I'm going to sell a bunch of stuff and buy an LS-150 or 200 and preserve it too.

Back