Tokai LS160 w/seth Lovers or Edwards LP 130 LTS Re L.dr. ??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schokosapiens

Reaction score
Hi Tokai Lovers and MIJ enthusiasts, maybe you could help me with this hard decision between two guitars currently on my mind, I like them both from what I see - but who has got experience with both guitars and would be able to compare or say which is the better Les Paul?
Thanks a lot!

I can only speak for the LP 130. I played it last night and again noticed the light weight and responsiveness. However, it is a relic'd finish. For some that may be a minus.

I have never played a Tokai 160 but do have some Seth Lovers in an SG. To be honest, I like the sound of the Lovers slightly better than the Antiquities. I guess they are a little lower output and seem to have a little less treble response but I would have to measure output and play them side to side.

Bottom line is that either guitar would be a good choice between those two. Edwards should be a few hundred dollars cheaper though.

Edwards guitars are almost certainly crafted in their basic body form and finished in China, then shipped to Japan for wiring, inspection, set-up. Not sure of who does the fretwork/neck. The China factory is a joint venture with ESP and essentially managed by the Japanese.
The China part is why you save a few hundred dollars when you buy one.

Thanks for your contributions. Yes, the Chinese bit was what I was also thinking about ... whereas with a LS150/160 you get pure Japanese craftmanship which is impeccable ...

schokosapiens said:
Thanks for your contributions. Yes, the Chinese bit was what I was also thinking about ... whereas with a LS150/160 you get pure Japanese craftmanship which is impeccable ...

The Edwards workmanship is right up there with Tokai regardless of where they are made, I'm a huge Tokai fan, but the Eddies are very nice too!

schokosapiens said:

Well, the contractors who did our plumbing this summer left a little to be desired with their workmanship, but for Tokai craftsmen, agreed!

The Tokai LS160 is an all round classic, vintage style Les Paul. Mine sounds light, airy, complex.

The Edwards sound beautiful - really good. I heard one A/B'd with an R0 and the Edwards sounded better to my ears. But they also sound a little different to other Les Pauls from all I've listened to in comparisons. They seem a slightly different flavour of Les Paul, if you follow me. Not worse by any means.

I'm not wild about the veneer on the Edwards, or the distressed finish. But that's just a personal thing.

Both are obviously phenomenal Les Pauls. But I'm pleased to have the slightly more traditional Tokai - although it is also more expensive.

Back