Tokai LS135S (P90, Goldtop) vs. 2005 LS85S?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter S.

Reaction score
Hi all!

Which differences should I expect between the cheaper (2005 LS85S) and the newer, more expensive Tokai Love Rock with P90s (LS135S), besides the better hardware (CTS pots, etc.)?

Do you expect them to use better selected wood, etc?

I am thinking about selling my LS85S, because it is too heavy. It sounds good but is just too heavy.

Cheers
Peter

I think you mixed something up here, because the high end Goldtop with P-90s is the LS145S, as far as I remember (can't access the new catalog right now). So a forum search for that model number should list some threads with a description of its specifications. And yes, it's probably about the wood where it's better.

Hey Peter,
I am looking to acquire a LS85S Gold Top such as yours. I prefer the P90 pups over the buckers. How is the overall quality of yours and how do you like it? It appears to be a solid guitar, and the price is very fair. I have asked about the neck girth: how is yours?

Thanks, man, any info would be appreciated. This is really the only Tokai i am considering (at least this year! :)

Cheers, james

Hi,

@hans-j?rgen:
Sorry, you are right, it is the LS145S. I know the catalog scan, but all the differences listed in the catalog are about hardware (bridge, tailpiece, CTS pots switchcraft Jack & switch).

The only non-hardware related new feature is the "long tenon", as far as I know.

I was just curious if more details are known.

@Stone Free:
I am no Les Paul expert, so I cannot tell you much about the neck other than I like it. The guitar is very well made, feels very good and sounds very good - it would be perfect, but it is too **** heavy :-(

My advice: Many (most?) Tokai's are not that heavy, so order from a dealer who can select a guitar for you and make sure he does not send you a boat anchor.

Best wishes
Peter

Peter S. said:
I know the catalog scan, but all the differences listed in the catalog are about hardware (bridge, tailpiece, CTS pots switchcraft Jack & switch). The only non-hardware related new feature is the "long tenon", as far as I know.
No, it also guarantees a 1-piece mahogany back while the LS85S does not mention this, so it's probably a 2-piece back. And it has a lacquer finish, too, so there are enough differences to justify the higher price. Maybe the fret edges are also bound on that model, and you forgot to mention the better capacitors and pickups. ;)

thanks Peter and Hans-J?rgen, all very useful info indeed. I emailed both GS Universe and Ishibashi about info re: both guitars (specs and availability).

Regards,
james

I don't think the fret edges are bound on the ls-145s, I just ordered one I'll review it (with a couple of photos, and hopefully some samples) when it arrives...

Stone Free said:
thanks Peter and Hans-J?rgen, all very useful info indeed. I emailed both GS Universe and Ishibashi about info re: both guitars (specs and availability).

Are these two shops selling tokais again?

ishibashi never stopped selling them, the tokai link was simply removed, because the page is being updated for the new models, thay still take orders though... I ordered my guitar when their tokai link was already offline...

bruno said:
ishibashi never stopped selling them, the tokai link was simply removed, because the page is being updated for the new models, thay still take orders though... I ordered my guitar when their tokai link was already offline...

Thanks Bruno!

It is funny they don't have Tokais on their web sites because you can't check their prices. I'll email them as well.

bruno said:
they will, you can't expect them to answer straight away

They replayed and the factory is out fo stock of the model I wanted :-? **** it!

do like I did, order it, pay for it now, and than wait, but I warn you it's a nerve recking thing, requires lots of patience, which I almost didn't have

Hey Bruno,

How did you "pay" Ishibashi? Are they taking VISA credit cards again?
For a time their web site said they would only take bank wire transfers.

both options were available, credit card and bank wire... I don't own a credit card though, only a debit one, so I always pay by bank wire, I prefer doing so, even though it's a little more expensive...

Back