Tokai LP custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused Jose Carlos,no offense intended at all again.I just found Supernout post talking about Tokai swapping parts with other people,not really sure about this but I think this could shed some light on this.Tokai serial number are sometimes very confusing to all of us.But as a rule,Tokai began using basswood in 1.989 in tele and stratos and started introducing korean models in their catalogue(just check 1.989 one an you'll see ST-28 and such low models and some strats and teles copies are basswood made).

Peter ,where are you amigo?We need your master tuition.

Ha,? Loudmouse, glad to see you you're still here man! Well ?. has that inked Tokai begun to look any newer yet? Does it look more like a Greco now? Or are we still where we were at the start? :wink:

Re. Carlos guitar - I?d never take any of this as more than 95% likely on any guitar/amp (inc. the Gibbo?s in BOTB, and inc. the Marshall amp?s in Doyle? the 18watt section at least is wrong). OK, we don?t have a catalogue for 1990, however, if you look in 1989 catalogue you?ll see the diamond logo was very different (& still same in 1996 Cat.). Whereas, the 1978 shows that original split diamond design (ie direct copy of Gibson, & same on Carlos?s guitar). It?s not definitive, and as I say I?d prefer to see the guitar in person (hey perhaps I?ll pop over to Madrid again later this month),? but as I said earlier, that diamond was the primary factor in threatened lawsuits, so many Japanese makers stopped using it after about 1977-1979 :-? .

Ian.

JOSE CARLOS said:
I'm think that the guitar maybe of year 1990 because a tokai guitar with serial number 9001536 can be the number 1536 of 1979 or the number 1536 of the 1990.
What did the seller tell you about its age?

I think we?re getting side-tracked on the date thing ? doesn?t really matter at all if its? 79 or 90 (that?s just minor side issue). If I understood correctly, the real issue was the pale looking wood & whether the guitar is actually a Tokai or not?

Ian.

I recall someone here owned a LC-65?? baswood made that he changed by LS-60/65.Could the wood be agathis??Tokai is using it in some models.

LC-60/100 models from 1.980 year had got typical romboid inlay.I've seen it on a pair of examples.Tokai was trying to replicate Gibbo the best at detaill they can, hence Tokai's high reputation nowadays.

IAN-Yeah, I'm always lurking around. I'm thinking that the "inky" was a Love Rock copy made by Fender to try and take away Tokai's part of the Gibson market. I might be wrong. Now if I could just find out more about this old wine red El Degas I have.....

Latest posts

Back