Tokai Limited Edition (Since 1947) - TST-36 Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocaster68

Reaction score
Hi all, this forum is awesome! I am so glad to find so many Tokai lovers in here!

I purchased online an all-black (neck included!) Tokai with a 36 sticker on the back of the neck close to the plate, with a HSS pickguard config, "LIMITED EDITION" and "SINCE 1947" on the head.
Headstock 70's shaped, with Fender 70's tuners which are unbranded (pics soon).
According to my search here on the forum, has to be a TST-36, as I can find it on the 1984 catalog, although the seller states this is 1983.

Few questions:

1. what's the difference in quality or features of this guitar in comparison with other TST's or other ST's ?
are tuners, electronics, wood used, lower quality?
2. what pu's are in?
3. what the value of this guitar could be on the market today?

This is not clear to me.

Thanks a lot!!

Hi I think there is a test-36 in my book, I will check and reply. You can browse the book on the link below

Iain

There is a sliver star 36 and a limited edition 36. The 36 represents the 36000 yen price tag so they will not have as high a spec as a tst40 so the tuners and pickups will be of lesser spec and the body will be a number of pieces but it all comes down to how it plays!

Hi, Iainblack
thanks for the reply!
So, body made in more than 2 (or 3?) pieces, pus and tuners are lower grade.
What about bridge and electronics?

What Do you think its value is?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Hi, happy new year. Your tuners will be the same as the lowest grade strat but they didn't seem to down grade the bridge. I think they may have had a single piece moulded bridge so you will be able to tell by looking in detail. Have a look at the pick ups and describe them for us or even take a photo. Someone on here may know what type they are.

Are you based in the UK? If you take a tst40 as a base price I paid about ?250 for one so I would suggest that the st 36 is worth less. As most people say on here, it worth what someone will pay for it.

Hi Iainblack!
I'm based in Naples, Italy (sunny day, 12?C here today!! ? :lol: )

I paid 220 GBP :lol:

I will post pics as soon as I have in my hands, with details of bridge and tuners and pu's/cavities.

I see that there are very frew HSS config TST36 around here, as most of the Limited Edition are HH instead.
I like more the HSS, that's one of the reasons behing my choice, along with the Tokai brand and the colour (I find it very sexy, all black... :wink: ) .

thanks for your support!

PS: I purchased your Tokai book and foudn a lot of interesting information !

Hi guys,

If it has the large 70's headstock, I would think it would have a TSS-36 model rather than TST.
Is the logo spaghetti or script?
3 or 4 bolt neck?
1983 and 1984 catalogs are identical, so if it's not in the 1984 Vol 8 catalog, then it's not in the 1983 Vol 7 either.
As a basic rule, Tokai did not start using #3 configuration (HSS) til around 1986 on Strats [ SSS=#1, HH=#2 ] and these were also reflected in the model numbers ie SD-651, SD-653, MM-801 / first numbers are cost last number is pup configuration.
So it may be a TSS-363 ? ? ? ?

Peter Mac

Hi guys,

If it has the large 70's headstock, I would think it would have a TSS-36 model rather than TST.
Is the logo spaghetti or script?
3 or 4 bolt neck?
1983 and 1984 catalogs are identical, so if it's not in the 1984 Vol 8 catalog, then it's not in the 1983 Vol 7 either.
As a basic rule, Tokai did not start using #3 configuration (HSS) til around 1986 on Strats [ SSS=#1, HH=#2 ] and these were also reflected in the model numbers ie SD-651, SD-653, MM-801 / first numbers are cost last number is pup configuration.
So it may be a TSS-363 ? ? ? ?

Peter Mac

Back