Tokai LC110 Custom BB 3 pick-up

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jacco,

I do remember that one.

It's entirely possible the serial # was misrecorded in this case, but even the most hardcore masochist isn't going to duplicate an
Artisan headstock inlay on a fake.
If anything a LP Custom fake would have a readily available split diamond overlay or decal.

I've logged a number of 102xxxx LC's and one 104xxxx LC but no 107xxxx's thus far.
Koiz's LC-110 was produced pretty early in 1982 , FWIW.

A serial # pic would sure help as you say. :wink:

Hi guys,
Keep in mind that all Gibson LP Customs made between 1954 and 1960 did not have a maple cap - they were solid mahogany.
Likewise Tokai replicated them exactly, so all the early LC-60, 100 and 110 are a solid mahogany body/top.
Gibson first put a maple cap on LPC in 1968 when the LP series was re-launched and - true to form - Tokai released the LC-60M for 2 years with a maple cap and a volute neck.
Keep these facts in mind as the sonic qualities of an LC series to an LS series are really quite different.
For the record Tokai did make an LC body with an LS neck - this was the LS-100S, available in Old Red or Natural. These are also quite rare.

Peter

Peter, the LS-100S came in OR, ON and GT and I believe they were only produced in 1981-82.
The body is not bound like an LC, it's a normal standard except for the maho top.
It also has a ONE piece maho top. LC-60s have a 2P maho top. The 100-110 I am not sure of but will ask around. Would be interesting to know.

The OR is the Joe Walsh model and is a copy of a specific 1957 Les Paul but ORs I have logged have a thin average 1960 neck profile.

I have owned one and believe me, the sonic properties are NOT very different from a standard. One would think that the low end regions would be less defined. At the time I owned 20 plus MIJ LPs. It was indeed amongst the ones with less defined lows but I owned standards that did worse.
The highs were sparkling.

Hi Jacco,
thanks for the update about the GT - I did miss that one :oops:

I do own an LS-100S ON from 1982, all original with DiMarzios, etc as well as a LP Standard and I find the sonic differences quite noticeable, as do others that play them. Mine is an '82 : 2011172.

I know the LC-60 had a laminated mahog cap as you pointed out. I was trying to finish the post quickly as I was stepping out. As far as the LC-100 and LC-110 - they did use the same 1 piece carved body as the LS-100S.
This I know as fact .

Peter Mac said:
Hi Jacco,
thanks for the update about the GT - I did miss that one :oops:

I do own an LS-100S ON from 1982, all original with DiMarzios, etc as well as a LP Standard and I find the sonic differences quite noticeable, as do others that play them. Mine is an '82 : 2011172.

I know the LC-60 had a laminated mahog cap as you pointed out. I was trying to finish the post quickly as I was stepping out. As far as the LC-100 and LC-110 - they did use the same 1 piece carved body as the LS-100S.
This I know as fact .

Ok, Peter thanks.
I do understand that if you have 2 LPs that they can sound very different from each other. You can't say however that's because of the mahogany top on one of them. Need more examples at the same time to say such a thing. And for all I know the other one is a Gibson. Gibson generally sound quite different than Tokai's. Interested in what the difference is though!

I'd agree. My 2 LC-100s sound different too, but they have different pickups in them and have 600 grams difference in weight.

I think there are some general ideas about sounds of all-mahogany bodies but then there are ideas about sounds from ebony boards giving tighter sound with more high end (if I am reading my Internet correctly!).

And different TRCs too!

The guy I bought my LS-100S ON from also had a LS-100S OR. It was 200g heavier (4.0kg vs 4.2kg) but had the same pickups. He told me that both had a different sound to each other.

-Jacco. That sunburst is a Gibson, so my apologies if that changed the sound board somewhat. :-?

regards
Peter

Back