Thursday Burst. 60's Black Beauties and more aging (PICS)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've done a great job !! The difference is clear, better than before.
Wonder how it will sound with Kloppmanns ??? 8)

BTW - you're site is on my "favourites" ... :wink:

Roger

PS. Say 'HI' to Maria ! No offence !!! Your're a wonderful couple - honestly !!

Hi!
Gettin better and better that page!

Here?s a clip with my LS85F with my own "The ?62" pickup, via Diezel Einstein and the "Retrodrive" on "dangerous" gain setting!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Gettin sick!

Good on ya, "ACY"

eresseraca, you got more attack with the aluminium tail peace.
The sound "moved" to front. :D
I'd say a big difference in the sound and what's more important a change for the better in my opinion. 8)

ACY, very cool clip, juicy guitar tone! 8)

Thanks guys! Glad to see that you enjoy it and hopefully some people can get a little help from my guide as well.

Hehe tudor, thanks! I'll say hi to her from you :D

ACY... I smell that ZZ Top tone and influence in your playing :wink: Very nice stuff!

Joukov, you're right about it got more attack now and that the sound is more present.

Great web page!

Some of you might here a difference, some don't. It's of course a subtle change in tone and depending on if you listen to these clips through computer speakers, a hifi system, headphones etc. it will sound different. But I hope it'll give you the idea of what happened tone-wise.

I have studio monitors and according to what I listened there is a subtle change in the crunchy sounds, clean notes are almost the same. To my ears the sound of the light tail piece is more twanggy.

I think your pick ups sound better with the original tailpiece :D . Besides the weight I don't know what's wrong with original tailpiece.

Have you ever tried to fit the gibson hats into the metric pots?

Hi!
I like that: ...............juicy guitar tone.............! :D :D

Thanx!

I really like Billy?s "tone" when he?s been playing his old Paulas!! Better than the tone he?s using now!

good on ya, "ACY"

Thanks ganzua!

Yep the guitar is more a lil more twangy now. It's in the overdriven parts that you notice the difference in the clips in real life you also notice the difference when playing clean... but you notice the change more when playing with a little overdrive.

Yeah I noticed that aswell. Imo, it's because when I changed the tailpiece the sound changed and I left the settings as I had them before when I played with the orig tailpiece... therefore the pickups sound "better" with the orig tailpiece since I hadn't dialed in the sweetspot for the new tailpiece.

The weight of the guitar didn't bother me before so it wasn't the weight relief that I was after (when speaking about that I'll have to weight it to see how heavy it is, haven't done that) but the difference in sound. If you use or want to use the tone and volume knobs on your guitar and not always have them on 10. Then the lightweight tailpiece along with the 50's mod wiring is an awsome upgrade. Sure the 50's mod on it's own helped alot but now after adding the lightweight tailpiece I can really enjoy the benefits of using the knobs on the guitar. Not the muffled muddy sound when turning down anymore :D

Another thing that I've noticed is a very recognizable change in sustain, something that wasn't there with the regular metal tailpiece. Longer sustain now and almost mixed with a little echo/reverb as the tones ring out. Beautiful! :D

I haven't played a real Burst and most likely I'll never get to do that either. But as Thursday Burst develops I think I more and more understand what the feel, tone and whole "Beauty of the Burst" thing really is about.

Electric guitar as it began, beautiful ;) :lol:

Okay guys! More updates... I figured that the top didn't look right. Noticed that real Bursts still have some shine on their tops. My Tokai was Matte Violin Finish... now it's "a litte shiny Violin Finish" instead ;)

http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

Turned out really really awsome imo!

NEW small update!

I updated the 50's wiring schematic so that it includes the whole wiring not just the control cavity.

I treated the fretboard with Ed Boyles Fret Doctor. Awsome Product that makes fretboard both feel and look awsome. Check out the site for link and before and after pics.

New updates again.

Today I aged and did some "weather checking" on the headstock of Thursday Burst.

Hope you enjoy the pics and and the "tutorial" :wink:

More updates!

I've installed a pair of Early 60's Sprague Black Beauty caps in Thursday Burst today. And the guitar SMOKES! **** good improvement in tone :D

I've also done some more aging and dinged the plastic parts up a little more.

http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

Feel free to comment and discuss!

eresseraca

Upon request over at the SD Forum I made a tone test with the Black Beauty caps installed in Thursday Burst. Here's the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=309222&songID=4270600

Backing made by bluesforstevie over at the LP Forum.

Hope you enjoy it! 8)

The site is down again! I don't know why, some more problems over at the host again. I'm gonna contact them soon to see what the problem is in case it don't comes back up by itself.

The soundclip should still be working though

Check back later!

eresseraca

They sure are Garagerat! :D

Ah, you see I got a real good offer on two so I'm very happy with the deal.

If I'd know I could have check with you though. Well, maybe there are some other 50's wiring guys that would like to achieve a pair from you. But it might be wise to keep them for future projects as well... otherwise you might regret it in the future :wink:

Sites back up again... something is messing with them over at the site host for sure :)

Back