Thinkin' about a new Pick- up for my double cut love rock jr

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokentoes

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a new pick-up for myTokai double cut love rock jr. style guitar. Right now it has the stock dog eared p-90 single coil i believe,does anyone have an opinion they would like to throw at me regarding this ? it is a one pick-up guitar. I use it for getting the Duanne Allman kind of blues sound especially but this git can handle alot of musical styles from country to hard rock, a real cruncher when she wants to be, anyway there's a guy i'm thinkin about useing in the next city over, he hand makes his and will custom wind or follow any specs i give to him to make my lonely pick-up. Of course with those kinds of options i'm kind of overwelmed-do i want it overwound ? by how much ? etc, etc, etc,. kind of like a kid in a candystore. I've never used this guy so don't think that this is a plug for him or some such ****, actually if anyone has bought pick-ups from him i would prefer some feedback from the members of this forum over any other. Even if you don't have an opinion for my git, i'd be happy to hear how you'd outfit your guitar(s)if were getting new custom pick-ups for yours. Here's his site, He's out of Hamilton, Canada so chestercatsmiles probably knows his work but I shouldn't assume.

http://www.tonefordays.com/

:lol: :p :D
Thank-you in advance for anyone who responds

Here is a shot of my guitar, just for reference

2ym7vh5.jpg

Lindy Fralin P90 pickups. I put a duo of them in my Tokai SG Special and they are killer. Fat but not mushy, crunchy but not brittle....made the stock Tokai P90's sound really thin and emotionless.

You can get them overwound or underwound to spec. I had my neck pickup underwound by 10% and it is perfectly balanced with the bridge - compared to the Tokai where the neck pickup was so boomy that even after raising the bridge p'up pole pieces, I had to roll the volume down substantially on the neck p'up to even out the output.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/p90s.asp

Are they a stacked Humbucker Marcus?....or are they still a single coil?

Slightly off beam I know - but I have and use Lindy Fralin pickups in a couple of my guitars (Gibson LP Standard & Fender American Standard Strat) and love them! Don't have any direct experience with his P-90's (hoping to buy a P-90 powered guitar soon) though.

The other US boutique name that is mentioned frequently where P-90's are concerened is Jason Lollar. Perhaps a forum member who uses these pickups could chime in here?

Best regards,
Darren/MM

Mole Man said:
Slightly off beam I know - but I have and use Lindy Fralin pickups in a couple of my guitars (Gibson LP Standard & Fender American Standard Strat) and love them! Don't have any direct experience with his P-90's (hoping to buy a P-90 powered guitar soon) though.

The other US boutique name that is mentioned frequently where P-90's are concerened is Jason Lollar. Perhaps a forum member who uses these pickups could chime in here?

Best regards,
Darren/MM

Lollars are great as well. I was sitting on the fence while trying to decide on them or the Fralins. Flipped a coin and I'm not disappointed with the Fralins. I'll check out the Lollar's next time I need a p'up upgrade.

Back