String Gauge

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Thomastik Infeld strings. They cost a little bit more but are definitely an improvement in quality. All other brands of strings are made by one of three manufacturers worldwide so it really doesn't make any difference except for Thomastiks.

I use gauge .013-.053 on most of my guitars and .011-.050 on my Springy and Jazzmaster.

I've been using D'Addario XL110-46's for years, basically because they're consistent and inexpensive in packs of 10 at GC.

I used to love DR's for the tone, but I've had trouble with lifetime with them - I sweat like a pig, have a heavy right hand and do a lot of bends, so I'm pretty rough on strings.

Now that I've discovered Big Bends Nut Sauce, I'm giving DR Pure Blues sets a try. I got two sets a few weeks ago and liked them. I just bought 6 sets from MF, and I plan to play them at my next couple of gigs

I love the sound of the DRs and used to use them but they are not consistent from set to set, intonation wise. This is really unacceptable in a premium string so I went to the Thomastiks. Occasionally I will use GHS because they still come in individual paper sleeves. I break lots of strings on gigs (even with graphite saddles) and have to change strings "on the fly" a lot, and when they're not individually wrapped it's a huge pain in the you-know-what.

Regular Slinkys on my Love Rock, and Power Slinky's plus a .60 for my 7 string... i have always used Ernie Balls since i first started playing...

i mean i have tried out other brands but always end up back using ernie balls....

Loudmouse said:
Man, you guys with the heavy gauge strings are working too hard. On my Les Paul type guitars I usually use D'Addario .008, .010, .012, .021w, .022w, .024w. or if the shop is out of single strings I can get by with the D'Addario EXL130 set .008, .010, .015, .021, .030, .038

that is crazy u must get a real weedy sound from that... heavier strings give better sustain and a much thicker tone...

.09 to .42 sounds to thin for me so really couldnt imagine how that string gauge u use would sound/feel???

i imagine with a .008 for your high E u could acheive some crazy *** bends but thats about the only thing i could see that would be good about that gauging u choose to use....

for riffing it must sound really thin...

Paladin2019 said:
Anything less feels like an elastic band these days. :lol:

Nothing compares to the rich, deep sound you get from big strings. 8)

i totally agree!!!!!

I always use Ernie Ball's Hybrid Slinkys for my Strats, Ernie Ball Regular slinkys for the les pauls.
:lol:

the thomastik .013s I use say "medium" on the pack and that's how I feel about it!

I use .011s on a few guitars where I need a "light" gauge for rock playing.

Come on guys. String gauge is about personal taste. If the gauge you use gives you the sound you want then that is all that needs to be said. Why should anyone else decide how you should sound? Can you imagine what it would be like if we all used the same type of guitar with the same string gauge?

On most of my electrics I use 11 gauage Rotosound strings. The acoustics take 12 gauge Rotosound COuntry Golds and my archtop takes 12 gauge Rotosound flatwounds. I like Rotosound!

Oh yeah, god knows what's on the bass. I bought it in a pawn shop and haven't set it up or restrung it yet.

Back