So which amp is your favorite?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi FordFanJpn,

Lovely gear !!!!!! :eek:

When do you play all your phantastic guitars?? You have also only two hands, right ? :lol:

Roger

tudor said:
Hi FordFanJpn,

Lovely gear !!!!!! :eek:

When do you play all your phantastic guitars?? You have also only two hands, right ? :lol:

Roger

Thanks for the kind words. My wife would also like to know why I have so many guitars. Actually, that is not the whole collection. I have more guitars, incluing a '59 ES-345 which I used to own and which will be coming back home to me this weekend. And I have 4 more clones, a Deluxe Reverb and a Hot Cat Bad Cat. Come to think of it, maybe I do have too much stuff!!

Bill

luis said:
Love that Fender Robben Ford guitar....

Thanks. There are actually 3 of them in that picture. On the left is a Custom Shop Elite, in back in the center is a Baker Robben Ford model which I just recently sold, and on the right is Robben's own guitar (the Red Lady) that he used for the Tiger Walk album and tour. I also have a MIJ RF model guitar and an old Flame Esprit that was the precursor to the RF model. And I recently bought a new Squier Esprit that is a surprisingly good guitar.

Bill

All the three are beautifull,the red one is fantastic.I had an old pre-Robben MIJ too sometime ago I sold,very nice guitar.I hope coming back to Japan to meet some friends maybe we can met if possible....Last time I was at Tokyo I enjoyed my visit a lot.

luis said:
All the three are beautifull,the red one is fantastic.I had an old pre-Robben MIJ too sometime ago I sold,very nice guitar.I hope coming back to Japan to meet some friends maybe we can met if possible....Last time I was at Tokyo I enjoyed my visit a lot.

I've been living here for almost 20 years now, so I'll probably still be here if you do make it over. It seems there are some other folks from Japan on this forum too. Anybody else here in Tokyo?

Bill

This may stir the pot a little tube heads.

My favourite amp right now is the computer program Guitar Rig 2. It's absolutely amazing. It's very tube like to my untrained ears (I've been solid state my whole life).

I gig with a Line 6 Flextone 1 (100 watts 2x10). I loved the emulations for a long time but Guitar Rig 2 is flat out superior. I'd love to gig with it but don't trust my "music" PC enough to make it through a gig.

My favourite amp that I don't own is the Mesa Boogie Road King. ( diversity is a must for me after being spoiled by modelling amps)

Today I read an interesting article by Dave Hunter in the British Guitarist Magazine from Nov 2004 about Plexi Marshalls, it's available for download at the Marshall site:

http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/vintage(guitarist%20nove2004).pdf

:-? The forum software doesn't accept special characters in an URL, so you have to copy & paste the complete URL into your browser.

I've also updated my related posting above with some new pictures.

Amps Shmamps :lol: ............I get a good sound playing thru a $135.00 7ender Frontman 25R that I mic it into the venues PA. The two other guitar players in our band are lugging around refrigerator sized Marshall Stacks that dont really sound that much better. For me... its all about portability, 2 minutes after a gig I'm driving home while they are still organizing a massive equipment move.
However, In a perfect world with plenty of cash....... I wouldnt mind having a Rivera combo.

Guy`s and Gal`s how about the old Fender Pro Reverb blackface or early CBS with 2-12`s and no master volume . GREAT AMP! :D

I've owned everything for amps, regardless of price. Currently I play a Marshall TSL (hence my name). I just can't help it, I like the three channels, and it feedbacks really easy, which I play with a lot.

So far NO sound man has put ANY EQ on my guitar. They scratch thier heads after the first break and look at me and say "I didn't have to do anything but set the gain on the mixer for your guitar". I have enough sense not to use tone destroying "shift" button, and I don't run the treble and presence full up. Basically just play the Marshall to feedback. Plus, it's RED and looks very cool.

If I had a personal guitar tech/roadie, and a bottomless checkbook, I'd play three live:
Matamp GTL for clean.
Badcat Blackcat for crunch.
Marhsall Plexi, hot rodded, and biased to distort extra easy for lead.

Only use Greenbacks for speakers. I like that midrange fatness. Currently play a 2x12 Bluesbreaker extension cab.

Hi, I use a Marshall JCM 900 which the Tokai St**t sounds great through but the best sound I get from the Tokai is from an Ashdown peacemaker,
and I mean it sounds the biz. Cheers Stitch

Here's a pic of my new Love Rock and my favorite amp. It's a 1964 Airline 62-9013A W/Tremelo. 2 Mullard 12AX7's, 2 Sylvania 6V6GT's, 1 12" Jensen C12R Alnico Speaker. Danelectro made. It's like a bionic Champ. Two channel so I jump it with a small patch cable. I only play at home so this is perfect for me. It's got tone forever and the sweetest overdrive. 15 to 20 watts? Stays clean with my Greco SE-500 Strat till about 10 o'clock on the volume dial, and no jumper. Thanks for looking.

loverock0034hp.jpg

Hi,

here's a pic of my rig. After many years of playing
Mesa Boogie amps (MKIII, Quad Preamp, Triaxis)
I finally found "my" amp, it's a Diezel VH4. The 19"
rig contains a TC Gmajor, a Lehle Midi Looper who
controls 2 OKKO Diablos (overdrive pedals). The whole
rig is switched with a Engl Midifootswitch. I use a Earny
Ball vol. pedal as expression pedal to control the volume
with the Gmajor. The cab is an old 400 Watt Marshall cab
from the 80s, it handles the power of the Diezel very well
and has a nice tight bass response without beeing harsh.

Andis_Diezel.jpg

Andi

GARAGERAT that airline amp, is it one of those ones that doesnt have a master volume and a seperate volume control yet? sorry my amp knowledge is still noob.

ive been looking around for amps and came across a Gibson GA-8T from the 60s, and it didnt have the two volume controls so u couldnt overdrive it at low levels... right?

anyway i ended up buying a fender hot rod deville (2001), should be here next wednesday!

andi-o what music do u play??? that looks like a really mean evil setup!!! :D

OrvilleBoy said:
andi-o what music do u play??? that looks like a really mean evil setup!!! :D

I play in a hardrock cover band, we play songs from Whitesnake,
David Lee Roth, Gary Moore, Thin Lizzy, stuff like that.
(some old men who don't know any better: www.verruecktehunde.de 8) )

With this setup I can have everything from crispy clean to Metallica
with a step on the footswitch. (For recording I use a Damage Control
Demonizer, this little device has some cool tones in it, even some nice
clean tone if desired; I posted some recordings at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=532143 )

Andi

GARAGERAT that airline amp, is it one of those ones that doesnt have a master volume and a seperate volume control yet? sorry my amp knowledge is still noob.

No master volume here. 2 channel, 1 vol, 1 tone for each and a speed and intensity for the tremelo. when I jumper it I can turn down the 1st channel and use the 2nd channel volume kind of like a master but I usually just turn the whole rig up equal. Yeah it gets loud but for me, cranked is where I prefer it. For me I just can't get to "that place" without a certain amount of volume. It's got a sweet spot like everyone's amp, you know. I like to hear those old mullards and sylvanias doin their thing.

tokaigeezer said:
Hey Andi-O,

Nice website! and every band certainly needs a good Arschtreter! :D

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

you know it's not a nice job but somebody has to do it :wink:

Andi

So many guitar players, give us bassists a chance now and then! :) Okay, I'm old, past my prime, fat and happy, and in need of a nap. Don't think much of whats new because whats old is still working for me. My main amp is an old Sunn concert bass with a 2x15 bottom, big enough for any bar, clean clear tone, tough as nails. I also have a modest collection of Acoustic solid state amps that I consider too precious to haul around and some of those Vox solid state crap amps that look so cool. Unfortunately I don't have a Tokai bass at this time. I have a Jap tokai guitar and two Korean Tokais. My Japanese bass right now is a Daion XX, but a Tokai EB-3 or a Greco Thunderbird will be coming my way soon. Thank you, this is a great site with excellent facts and enough wit to make it enjoyable.

Back