So not fair! ... Those who prey on Ebay X(

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beatles Sound

Reaction score
I am creating this topic to denounce those who take advantage of Ebay to make sales, but increasing in price.
Unscrupulous resellers who buy guitars at a good price and resell it to a more expensive price of the original and it does not help buyers

Let's start here:

Original :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180560875992&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123#ht_1860wt_1139

et now :

http://cgi.ebay.com/91-Orville-Gibson-54-Lespaul-BLK-P-90-/300483716678?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45f639a646#ht_4803wt_905

500 dollars more ?????????????????????

:evil:

The Beatles Sound said:
I am creating this topic to denounce those who take advantage of Ebay to make sales, but increasing in price.
Unscrupulous resellers who buy guitars at a good price and resell it to a more expensive price of the original and it does not help buyers

Let's start here:

Original :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180560875992&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123#ht_1860wt_1139

et now :

http://cgi.ebay.com/91-Orville-Gibson-54-Lespaul-BLK-P-90-/300483716678?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45f639a646#ht_4803wt_905

Surely buying something and selling it at a profit is what every business does. He's not extorting money, or mis-selling anything

Mr Beatles Sound, you do seem to have a problem with dealers doing what dealers do, & I really don't understand why. I bought my SS60 from this seller, & it was a good deal all round. It never occurred to me to try to find out how much the dealer originally paid for it - it's not relevant, is it?

Surely the dealers we should be complaining about are those who behave unethically, those who engage in restrictive practices, those who threaten other dealers in different countries with law suits for dubious reasons, those who shut down forums which contain posts which dare to criticise their ways of operating.

Hmmmm?

To the best of my knowledge, stjjjj does none of these things. So what's the problem?

Mike

I have to agree with Mike and John, I'm afraid.

A guy that I knew went into the secondhand car market. He quickly discovered that paying more for the cars than he ended up selling them for might have benefitted the original seller and the buyer but wasn't doing much for his bank balance.

Every dealer is always hunting for good prices when buying to sell again a little more expensive...that's the rules for every business.
I always say you need two of them : one asking for the price,another one willing to pay.Nothing to worry about :wink:

Essentially, there's nothing wrong with it.

However, I very much appreciate your drawing attention to this guitar - that way when it doesn't sell at the higher price I've got a good idea of what it cost him so I can make an offer!

Keep up the good work! :D

Buying and selling is what we all do...some of us just to fund our buying habit and also because the prices just keep going up on what seems a daily basis we expect to maybe sell at more than we bought. If I have a gripe it's possibly when a dealer "informs" an ebay seller that the guitar they are selling is rare and more "valuable" than the asking price. This guy couldn't sell at ?690 but having been informed by a dealer of it's rarity is now asking ?950. Now, is the dealer doing the seller a favour or just protecting the value of his investments. Lets see what it goes for.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GRECO-MINT-COLLECTION-HIGH-END-MODEL-EG1000D-1989-/250716891968?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a5fe42b40

There was a gold ST80 that recently sold on eBay UK for ?770. The seller said that it had cost him around ?1100 to bring in from Japan, & having found the original eBay ad, I can see that was true. So this (private) seller lost several hundred pounds by buying a guitar from Japan (where they don't seem to have realised that the rest of the world is in recession), paying the various customs charges, paying VAT (20%!!), & paying shipping charges.

I feel for the seller, but as a private seller I guess he'll just have to swallow this big loss. But what if he was running a guitar selling business? How would he feed his family & keep a roof over his head if he lost hundreds of pounds each time he sold a guitar?

Also, those who are buying and selling guitars as a legitimate business need to pay overheads, tax and maybe even feed themselves from time to time.

stevesemaphore said:
Buying and selling is what we all do...some of us just to fund our buying habit and also because the prices just keep going up on what seems a daily basis we expect to maybe sell at more than we bought. If I have a gripe it's possibly when a dealer "informs" an ebay seller that the guitar they are selling is rare and more "valuable" than the asking price. This guy couldn't sell at ?690 but having been informed by a dealer of it's rarity is now asking ?950. Now, is the dealer doing the seller a favour or just protecting the value of his investments. Lets see what it goes for.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GRECO-MINT-COLLECTION-HIGH-END-MODEL-EG1000D-1989-/250716891968?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a5fe42b40

Can't see the pics, but I sld a EG1000D for a good bit less than this recently, I put that doen to my need to sell and the current recession. IMO a EG1000D is worth what the seller is asking, good luck to him!

The Beatles Sound said:

Let's start here:

Original :

et now :

You don't like what this dealer is doing? Then don't buy from him. If no-one buys from him, then he'll soon lower his price. It's called capitalism.

I would also suggest that the 54 Orville he is selling is rare as hell and he is entitled to go for gold on his asking price. If you don't buy it from him, then where are you going to get one from?

stratman323 said:
...what if he was running a guitar selling business? How would he feed his family & keep a roof over his head if he lost hundreds of pounds each time he sold a guitar?

He would need to get out of the business and find a different job.

youami said:
You don't like what this dealer is doing? Then don't buy from him. If no-one buys from him, then he'll soon lower his price. It's called capitalism.

Such a tired old line...

Capitalism is not simply buying low and selling high, it's risking your own money to add value to something and then selling it. Now that the original price is known people will have to work out whether the new seller has added any value, maybe peace of mind, a better description that reveals a higher value in the guitar or something like that.

JVsearch said:
youami said:

Such a tired old line...

Capitalism is not simply buying low and selling high, it's risking your own money to add value to something and then selling it. Now that the original price is known people will have to work out whether the new seller has added any value, maybe peace of mind, a better description that reveals a higher value in the guitar or something like that.

Why does he have to add value? If you don't like his price, then don't buy! Easy really. Capitalism is supposed to be about free markets... with the freedom to do what you like, eg the freedom to charge a rather "optimistic" price and the freedom for people who don't like the price not to buy the guitar.

Hmm, I'm curious if he'll get anywhere near that price. I don't have so much a problem with what he's doing, but at this price he seems to be holding out for a sucker, which is irritating. I've seen custom shop Gibsons go for little more than what he's asking on Ebay recently (but then you usually need to have a US account or a friend there who can buy it on your behalf). I'll still take a custom shop Gibson over a crappy "rare" ObG with short neck tenon and for all I know a 10-piece back / top / neck (solid finish!). Note that this seller is based in Japan so there's still import taxes and shipping costs to pay. Thanks, but no thanks.

In terms of "value added", I'm not overwhelmed, but I suppose he's supplying "liquidity" to the first seller if you want, and "temporal convenience" to the buyer. What he's trying to do requires that the first seller is uninformed or in a rush to get cash, and that potential buyers at the higher price are out there but not in the market just yet. After Ebay and paypal fees, I don't think he'll get rich with transactions like these, especially since the first transaction seems closer to what I would expect to be the market price for this guitar. (Note that the first seller is also a dealer, so he's most likely informed.)

So what we've actually got is one dealer gets hold of a guitar; tries but fails to sell it on ebay (note that the first posting says there were no bids); passes it on to another dealer - swap? trade price? Who knows. Second dealer tries to sell it on ebay too but asks for more. Presumably the second dealer is even less likely to sell it at that price, but that's his risk.

youami said:
JVsearch said:
youami said:

Such a tired old line...

Why does he have to add value?

It's a vague notion that if you're taking money out of the pile then you have to be providing some value for it. This idea is what keeps us all on the straight and narrow rather than selling valueless assets to people such as what went on in the recent financial crisis.

See BrazenPicker's post for some other value that the new seller might be adding.

JVsearch said:
It's a vague notion that if you're taking money out of the pile then you have to be providing some value for it. This idea is what keeps us all on the straight and narrow rather than selling valueless assets to people such as what went on in the recent financial crisis.

That's a delightfully old-fashioned & idealistic notion! :lol: Why should guitar sellers have to conform to such strict rules when so many other people in our society do not?

I guess that it's one aspect of business. That's what Tokai do. They take a bunch of components, do a bit of work on some of them, slap them together and sell them for a lot more than the individual components cost.

Another is to recognise that different people value things differently. If you can buy something that one person doesn't value and sell it to someone who does value it, you make a profit. To one person, a Goldstar is a plank of wood which makes a noise so they'd be happy to get rid of one for whatever they can get. To another, it's a thing of beauty and an exquisitely crafted tool and they'd pay a lot for it. I don't see any problem in buying from the former and selling to the latter.

stratman323 said:
JVsearch said:

That's a delightfully old-fashioned & idealistic notion! :lol: Why should guitar sellers have to conform to such strict rules when so many other people in our society do not?

It's pretty much where all the progress we've made has come from...

Latest posts

Back