Serial # 0 5203 Super Real

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Malloy

Reaction score
It's a black standard of course my favorite. I just had it refretted and plek'd by Joe Glaser in Nashville. Cost me $385 for the work but was worth every dime this guitar is special. But I have a question. Why would this guitar have the PU2 PU's in it if it's a Super Real which it is t says it on the headstock. The covers are off the PU's as well I'm assuming previous owner did that though as you can tell it. Also it's chambered. It's AMAZING! this is a take it to my grave guitar. I know I said the Bacchus were amazing and they are but this is OLD and VINTAGE and amazing. Different... I'm just wondering if I should put Dry Z's in it or Screamin 82's or just leave it alone. I've also got RD pickups out of Ireland working on a set I might put those in it. Or, leave it alone. Did I mention amazing? It's the loudest electric guitar I think I've ever heard. So full of life and tone like it's been played to death. Or played to life I should say. It's also got the Graph Tech Aluminum brigade with the Tusq saddles and the aluminum stop tailpiece upgrades. The original tuning pegs are the best I've ever had. The ones on my Mint Collections suck in comparison.

PU-2 are very very sweet pickups, I love them.

Usually found on EGF850 and EG800 Super Real.
In 80's you could also purchase Greco pickups to swap and I believe pickups were sold without cover.

thegsmmarketimg600x4501.jpg

If the cover has been removed by the previous user, you probably can see some solder at pickups back.

Chambered body is more likely EG450/500..

Dry-Z are something different though, they are brighter/cleaner to my ears, you get more harmonics and vintage output.
Try Dry-Z if you have the occasion, but PU-2 are still very nice pickups.

Covers were definitely removed I know I've done it. And you can tell. And I thought the PU2 were with just a the number on the back. I have many sets of those I don't have any that actually say PU2 and I know those exist but I thought they were the same as the ones with just the number like 200613. I have a set of those laying here. Anyway I have many sets of Dry Z's and many sets of Screamin 82 I collect all things Greco. I love them all but in seem to like the Scremin 82s better than the Dry Z's and I like the Z's beter than the PU2. So my dilema is I have my favorite Greco which is this Super Real with my 3rd favorite PU's in it. But how could it be a Super Real if it's only an EG 450? There is no number on it. except the serial and the Super Real on the back. I'll take some pics and post them today. BUt if it's an EG 100 I could care less its the best guitar I own. By far. :>) It almost plays itself. Also the only PU I have yet to hear is the Greco Dry 1982. I wonder how that compares to the Dry Z and the others. Does anyone know? Thanks guys..

I own a '80 EG 480 chambered flame top (I think the EG 450 is the chambered plain top), serial # 0 6805.
I've removed the stock UD pickups which were a little weak, tried a set of Gibson 57 classic which were not that good in this guitar (but very good in my LS-55).
I've then mounted a Super 70 set, which is marvellous in this guitar, very clear and powerful.
I will try later the Dry Z set I've just purchased.

Your gonna like the Dry Z's I should think. Some people don't but I do. The back on this guitar is at least 2 pieces I can see the seam but it's not in the middle so maybe 3? I wold think not though for a Super Real. Is the top solid one piece?

No, being chambered, the top is laminated, aka 335, and 2 pieces center sealed
The back is 3 pieces

Well they did something right on this one. Everything's loose though. The input jack the pickups rings etc but that's an easy fix it plays like it's 100 years old though. So loose feeling and rings like a freak.

The Super Real pickups have the number 200130 at least I think it's a 1. And I've had a set laying around for awhile with the number 200613 which are much thicker and heavier. Can anyone tell me why they would be thicker and heavier and what does this do to the sound I haven't heard them yet. The ones in the Super real seem to be about the same size and weight and thickness of the screamin 1982's I have laying here as well. So it would seem this 200613 set is a bit strange. At least in my collection. I don't have any Dry Z's currently out of guitars so I cannot compare them. I will be taking them out of 3 guitars though as those guitars are all for sale. I cannot decide if I should replace the stock PU's that are in the super real. It sounds pretty great with them in there. But I do tend to prefer the Screamins. ?? Not sure how they would match up though with the Chambered SR. The pickup numbers does the 1 signify 1981 and does the 6 signify 1986? Maybe they changed the magnet to a heavier one in 96? The letters are the same it's definitely a Greco (Maxon) Pickup.. It's just thicker and heavier. Any advice?

200613:

2???????????????????????0??????????????????06??????????????????13
^??????????????????????^??????????????????^???????????????????^
PU type:???????????Year:????????????Month:???????????Day:
Type 2??????????????1980????????????June???????????????13

Pickup was made on June 13 1980.

200130:

2???????????????????????0??????????????????01??????????????????30
^??????????????????????^??????????????????^???????????????????^
PU type:???????????Year:????????????Month:???????????Day:
Type 2??????????????1980????????????January??????????30

Pickup was made on January 30 1980.

There are many things that can change a pickup sound/weight, magnets type, wire turns, wire gauge..
I assume ceramic should be lighter as it's not metal unlike alnico, but I'm not sure...

Went through a similar excercise in determining what a pair of 200*** series pickups were in this thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19981

I see. Thanks guys. This is all very interesting learning the Greco system. So yes this particular set is heavier and thicker so Alnico as apposed to ceramic. I happen to really like the way their ceramic ones sound though possibly even better.

I have a set of their "The Groove" p'ups in my SA.... think they are ceramic too. Possibly the best sounding pickups I've ever heard in a 335. Real warm and crunchy.

Let me see if I remember correctly:

U1000
U2000
PU-2
DRY (Z and 82)
SCREAMIN'
DOUBLE TRICK
THE GROOVE

Think there might have been another one but can't remember the name.

That's where I get fuzzy.... I think the differences are between the magnets.... Alnico types and of course, ceramic.

According to my notes, U1000 are Alnico VIII magnets and U2000 are Alnico V

Not sure what magnet was used on the PU-2's.

Well this set is clearly bigger magnets then the others. I bet it sounds less bright and thicker. Just like what I don't like. LOL I put a cream colored one in my Hamer Artist and it's SO bright it's too bright in that guitar. I'm putting the Seth Lover back in it and selling it anyway it's a better guitar than the Greco's but I prefer them. I hope I don't regret it some day. I don't think I will I have so many Grecos now I don't even think about the Hamer. I am still wondering if a Dry or a screamin would sound better in the Chambered Super real.

I know and I've got PU's I think I like better anyway so I probably won't bother. But it's till fun to know this stuff cause it seems like the more I get to know the more I like. The Mint collection for instance. I never played one now I own 2 and they are the cheaper ones but they are great. I never heard a screamin 82 till I got my first one a month ago I was pretty surprised.

I have a mint collection also, and i think i know what you mean, i have other guitars that are frankly "better" guitars but my MC is just so much fun and a joy to play, i find myself picking it up more than guitars worth $1000's more. They have a certain charm all there own.

Back