Serial # 0 5203 Super Real

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny cause my buddy Kenny Greenburg always says he likes crappy guitars and guitars with character. He's one of he best studio guitar players in Nashville and probably the world since Nashville is essentially the best place for guitar players and all other players in the world. Anyway I never knew what he meant until now. He's in love with my cheap Greco Sunburst. He offeres to buy it every time I talk to him. LOL His mind is gonna be blown when he plays the latest ones. Although that sunburst is incredible and it has a ton of mojo. It's been plek'd by Joe Glaser.

I have an 87 Mint Collection SG Junior that I'll never sell. Their humbuckers are magical but their P90's are not far behind. Think they were called Hot Licks

I have a Super real JR and yes the P90 is the best I've ever heard. By far. I don't know what it is or what its called but I know it's the best. And a couple years ago one showed up on ebay and it was extremely reasonable and i told my friend to buy it. he did and we find it's 3 away from mine per the serial number. 2 6552 so I guess it's an 82 and it was thrashed. It has lots of surface issues but it's a killer. Sounds amazing. I put a new Vintage style tailpiece on it and it's amazing. I forget the name now of the company that makes it. The neck is too fat for me though like a 59 Gibson Jr which I used to own. This one is better than that one was.

brokentoes said:
I have a mint collection also, and i think i know what you mean, i have other guitars that are frankly "better" guitars but my MC is just so much fun and a joy to play, i find myself picking it up more than guitars worth $1000's more. They have a certain charm all there own.

That is why t I sold all my Super Real EGF's...... I simply like the Mint Collection guitars better.. :wink:

I'm still curious as to which guitar you have Mitch. Does it have MOP inlays by chance?

I'd say the MCs are my fave, but the EGF-1200 I had was a classy guitar despite the 3-pc back.
MC:

Super Real:

marcusnieman said:
I have an 87 Mint Collection SG Junior that I'll never sell. Their humbuckers are magical but their P90's are not far behind. Think they were called Hot Licks

I have an 80 super real SS500 and yeah....the P90's are just amazing. Like blow me away amazing every time I plug that guitar in. I'm not sure who made them though. They are called hotlicks in catalogs and were continued to be called that through the mint collection era. Not sure if maxon made them or not.

Wow those are nice nd great picture too. No my Super Real does not have MOP but both MC do. And I do prefer the Super Real neck on the standard but not the JR. My favorites in order are the Super Real Standard the MC Standard 4 4506 and then 3rd is the MC Standard 4 4601. Although I prefer the shape of the neck on the 4 4601 MC the other one is MUCH lighter and sounds better plugged in. has more midrange honk. But the Super Real kicks both their asses but it kicks almost every guitar I've ever played *** so there isn't much contest. And the Bacchus GOld top I wa in love with 6 weeks ago has been bumped down to for sale status as these Greco's are just more my thing. I sunk a ton of $ into the Gold top though it's Plek's and all set up it's maxed out so some Bacchus guy is going to be in heaven whe they buy it. It sounds huge as well. Tons of low end. And the neck is fantastic so solid and high quality. I just prefer the Greco neck shape. Although the Gold Top is their smaller shape and I like it ok.

And I never would have thought a 1200 would have a 3 piece back. I was going to look for one but maybe I shouldn't waist my money. I do prefer the neck on my Super real though to the MC neck. The fret board is a little flatter and the neck slightly bigger. I had the SR and the first MC i got Plek'd. The MC 450 hasn't been Plek'd yet I'm sure that will make a difference in the sound as well. I'm still struggling with if I should put an Evertune on one of the MC though. That thing is SO NICE to have live and in the studio. It does change the vibe of a guitar though a little but it's such a great thing to always be in tune and not have to worry about that.

soundcreation said:
I have an 80 super real SS500 and yeah....the P90's are just amazing. Like blow me away amazing every time I plug that guitar in. I'm not sure who made them though. They are called hotlicks in catalogs and were continued to be called that through the mint collection era. Not sure if maxon made them or not.

I just received a MR600 with 2 P90 (PU-104, very probably the same as hotlicks), my first guitar with P90..
I'm mad I haven't try theses pickups sooner.. I was looking for this sweet compression / high dynamic and mids boost for years!
Definitely that "another brick to the wall" solo kind of tone..
And unlike many people says, I don't find them so noisy (hum).. once you are 2 meters far from your amp it's very quiet..
I think I'm gonna start a MR600 collection lol

When I'm tracking and I reach for the SR JR I ALWAYS smile. That guitar is always on ALL my recordings. I just wish it was easier to play.

Latest posts

Back