RW/RP middle pickup for ast50?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2005 AST50 with the stock pickups (TOK-1K? possibly) and as part of the 'authentic' vintage vibe of the guitar the middle pickup is not rw/rp, so basically there's hum in all 5 positions.

I am shielding the guitar but also want to purchase a replacement middle pickup that will be rw/rp in relation to the tokai stock bridge and neck pickups.

I really like the tone from the stock units so don't want to buy a whole set, and also I want the replacement pickup to be as close as possible in tone to the stock units. (I've used duncan ssl-1s and really liked them, if somebody could tell me for definite that some breed of ssl-1 will work rw/rp with the tokai pickups it'd be music to my ears)

So, can anyone advise on what pickup will meet the above requirements?

Reverse wound/reverse polarity, which means that when you select two pickups together (the so called "out of phase postions" on a Strat) they are hum cancelling.

It's different to out of phase, as using two pickups together that are out of phase with each other produces a thin, weak, nasal sound that is very little use.

Personally, I'm not convinced that having a RW/RP middle pickup is a big advantage, but lots of people seem to disagree.

Mike

It is a big advantage in my experience.

Anyway, can anybody answer my original question here?

So far I've contacted and am awaiting a reply from:

tokai uk
tokai japan
seymour duncan

I would have thought if there was anywhere on the web I could get some informed advice on this matter it would be here?

You could try Kent Armstrong, though I don't think I have contact details any more. I belive Kent has returned to the US, while his son Aaron runs the business from the UK. Both of them have been helpful in the past.

Latest posts

Back