Review - Fender Japan - ST54-120 DMC

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratman323 said:
And if you find a Springy ST80 at a good price, you can't go far wrong with that, as long as you know what you're looking for.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... that was a very good one, Mike ... 8)

Roger

Chipps said:
I'm reserving the January trip for wild impulse-buying of random things in guitar shops - which is why I'm still thinking of a sensible and planned purchase of something nice and shiny and Japanese.

Then I'll be free to wildly grab one or two crazy guitar shop bargains while I'm there. (Any predictions? I'm reckoning that I'll end up with an Edwards Strat and a bizarre Japanese copy of an Ovation Breadwinner or something) :)

I hope you have better luck than I did. I went twice last summer and only saw a few damaged Tokai LP's and one TST-80 Goldstar, which I almost bought but seemed too expensive. (In hindsight, shoulda grabbed it). One shop told me that Springys are rarely seen coming through nowadays. I'm planning to make one more trip before I move back to Canada. Here's hoping.

By the way, check out Scott's thread on his Japan trip as well as mine from the summer if you have never been there. They'll give you a better idea of where to go so you can spend more time drooling and less time searching for the shops.

Jason

Good tips, thankyou.

I'll be going to Sakai, near Osaka (to visit Shimano - bicycling fans...) so any local knowledge is welcome. :)

luck plays a huge role, there are so many people looking for those old japanese guitars now who are willing to pay crazy prices for them so often they come into shops and go out very quickly...matter of a day or two sometimes, so if you`re after the same guitars as those you have to be willing to pay for them. Sometimes I can go months without seeing anything good other times I stumble onto amazing bargains but I never hesitate, one day may be too late...maybe even hours expecially in the big cities. Gonna be bonus time soon so there will be a lot of cash flowing and shops are going to sell of a lot of inventory.

almost forgot...this time when you enter Japan, you have to go through the gaijin line at customs where you will be photographed and fingerprinted. Started this week...remember...no jokes with the customs agents.

Back