Relic hardware (Faber hardware etc)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericohman

Reaction score
Hi!

I still have the original Tokai bridge and tailpiece but I replaced it with a GOTOH tuneomatic and lightweight tailpiece which I has done some aging on. However, the aging from Faber hardware as well as Faber tailpiece locking studs makes me want to replace hardware again.

The hard part though is, how old do I want it to look :)
Here's a shop that sells them:
http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produktdetail.php?id=17

I'd say I want something between satin matt and lightly aged for my 1985 love rock. I'm definately buying the locking studs because I searched this forum and read great things about them.

BRIDGE SADDLES

The aged bridge from Faber hardware (non-locking) I believe has pre-cutted saddles. However, I want to know what kind of saddles are used on the Tokai 1980 LS-80, like the one here:
http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~yjibika/en_1980TokaiLS80OS.html

Is that brass saddles or nylon saddles?

If brass, does anyone know how to get them to look like that, because the aged Faber ABR bridge w/ brass saddles doesn't quite look like that...

If nylon saddles, does anyone know where I could get nylon saddles that fits the Faber metric ABR, preferably aged?

Those saddles looks amazing! Maybe one of the most beautiful thing I've seen...

Nylon saddles were used on Gibson ES models.... not on Les Pauls (or Love Rocks) Those are brass saddles.

Brass ages rapidly..... if you play your guitar a bit, they'll tarnish naturally.

Here's a pic of mine - aged locking bridge and tailpiece - all from togps tokaiguitar.de

IMG_0295.jpg

Dave

Do you remember what aging that was?
Aged Satin Matt
Aged Light
Aged Heavy

Can't decide if I'm gonna go for Aged Satin Matt or Aged Light...
Nice guitar!

The codes I ordered are here

3003 | TL-MSNA | 1 pcs. | Metric thread, Nickel plated, Aged
3012 | TP-59ANA | 1 pcs. | Nickel plated - Aged

3042 | ABRL-59MNAB| 1 pcs. | Nickel plated, natural brass saddles - Aged - Metric Thread

Edit: looking at the order page I just ordered aged. Loioking at the pic's I'd say mine are light aged.

Hope that helps.

You can always send togps a pm he's a member here - tokaiguitar.de is his web-site. He's always very helpful.

Dave

I will contact him.

The bridge, I noticed you bought the locking ABR. It's a little bit more expensive and I don't quite like the look of it.

But aside from that, I want to hear your opinion about the locking, does it fit solid?
Because I've often noticed that the holes in bridges have quite a loose fit on the postings...especially my gotoh tuneomatic which currently sits on my Tokai Love Rock.

Have you wired your pickup out of phase (or magnet flip or push-pull pot) or is it just the neck pickup cover that sings peter green? :)

Yes, it all fit's rock solid and I'm very pleased with it.

(....and yes the pickups are manalishi's with the magnet filpped on the neck :D)

Dave

I placed an order. However I bought the non-locking version of the ABR bridge because the extra Euros and the look of the locking bridgedidn't feel right at the moment.

I bought the locking studs and lightweight tailpiece as well.
Everything in Aged Satin Matt, well, hopefully, I wrote that as a comment on the order form.

Will posts some pics when I get it, probably next week.

Never heard of those pickups, are you happy with them?
I've been googling a bit for pickups and have got hooked on the Wolfetone Dr.Vintage / Legend, the Throbak and Scatterbranes. However I believe Wolfetone has the best prices.

Good stuff - if Gottfried isn't sure what you want I'm sure he'll ask.

Yes, the non-locking bridge does look slightly better I agree.

(....and yes, I'm very happy with my manalishi pickups. See here
http://www.cvguitars.com/index-1.html - have a look at his videos and pictures of the guitars he's modified inc' the pot's and cap's :wink: )

It's in brackets because I don't want to start another Peter Green mod thread.............. If your interested search for "how to Peter Green my Love Rock"

Dave

Back