Question about wood.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Thunders

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I recently bought a TJ65. The juniormodel ya know.

Anyways, I quickly decided to swap the stock pickup to something hotter, a Voodoo P90. I had my local guitardealer do the job as I'm not the handy type.

Now to the point of concern. When I first brought the guitar to the shop, the mechanic guy held it in hands and proclaimed:

- This is not real mahogany, you know! Its Nato, I can tell from the weight.

Is this true? Could it? Not real mahogany in my guitar? The Tokai-catalogue clearly states that is. But now I'm uncertain. The guy really got me wondering and the guitar is indeed featherlight.

Would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this. Thanx in advance.

And how much did he offer you for your TJ65? ;) Normally the Tokai catalogs don't lie, and nato is only specified for the Korean SG models, as far as I remember. Furthermore there's light mahogany, too, although it's more rare than the heavy variant.

Mine looks like mahogony to me. If it says it in the catelogue, then I have no reason to doubt it. Mine is'nt particularly light, though obviously not as heavy as a normal Les Paul standard.

Thats some tech if he can tell the wood just by its weight. Does he do it with his eyes closed ?. :lol:

If you try the different guitars but the same model you'll find a variation in weight, sometimes quite a significant difference.

I think he should have kept his comments to himself. I hate it when people put thoughts in your head.

Don't worry its mahogany I can tell by the weight and I haven't even seen it. :D

LBUK

Latest posts

Back