Pots and caps

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratman323 said:
I have a question about caps. Clearly a cap will have an effect on the overall sound of the guitar when the tone control is turned down, but will it still have an effect when the tone is set to 10?

No. The cap is out of the circuit if the tone pot is on "10".

Interesting thread, I just read it top to bottom and the very last post answered my question!!

I have a LP jnr that is very bright and I nearly always have the tone control below 5 Is there any way I can tame the brightness.

Put a bigger cap (larger capacitance, not size) in, which will have more of an effect, so you'll get more of a range out of the pot. If you don't like it, it's an easy change to undo.

I have just bought two of these RS Guitarworks .022 Caps:

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/RS_GuitarCaps_.022_Capacitor_RSGC22#

138_3825.jpg

I haven't had a chance to fit them yet. Before I do, I was wondering if anybody else has tried them? I guess it would have made more sense to ask before buying them, but never mind... :-?

Mike

Those RS caps should be fine. They are only about an hour away from where I live. Good bunch of people at RS and good products.

I'm not sure if the RS staff have just an excellent marketing department ...
I remember years ago they were promoting their Hovland Musicaps as the best caps available ...
hovMC.jpg

... later on they claimed exactly the same for their 'exclusively' made guitarcaps ... it's funny that they are using the same name for the black ones now ...
RS-Super.jpg

... on LPF they are cheering about the RS 'fake' bumblebees at a ridiculously high price ... nothing else than a BS - normal film caps in disguise even used by Gibson ... look at the X-ray of several caps ...
caps1.jpg

The only thing that is true and really plausible ... they want to make money at any (raising) price ... 8)
Roger

Hi Roger,

Back to this old thread again! I'm afraid those x-rays don't mean much to me. Are you saying that they're no good? Or as good as .....what? ODs? I still don't fully understand exactly what the difference is between all these different bits of ancient technology. :cry:

stratman323 said:
Hi Roger,

Back to this old thread again! I'm afraid those x-rays don't mean much to me. Are you saying that they're no good? Or as good as .....what? ODs? I still don't fully understand exactly what the difference is between all these different bits of ancient technology. :cry:

Mike,
... what I want to say is ...
There are alot of people out there recreating Bumblebee's
You can buy that fake BBs at all prices. Most are NOT Original Spec - normal film caps with a BB coating ( Xray ... the two on the right side are the Originals).
It's annoying that a company like RS is changing their opinion concerning the types of caps they are just having in stock. And they don't say that their BBs are just ... coated film caps. (Xray)
Fake58 are the only ones who tell the customers what they're selling actually ...
Additionally ... there is NO Right or Wrong sound for a Guitar. It all depends on the sound you like .
... and your black 'RS guitarcaps' are as good or as bad (as you like it :wink: ) as any Mallory or Hovland or VitQ ...
Roger
BTW, Mike ... I admit that I'm gonna zero in on RS because of their promotion practice ... 8)

I think you must have better ears than me Roger! I have been using these recently:

123_2373.jpg

They are on this page, towards the bottom, just under the ODs:

http://www.axesrus.com/axeknobs.htm

I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between those, Orange Drops, & Vitamin Qs. For me, the real difference has been changing to .022s on Strats.

A great sound that didn't really work with .047 or .1 caps, is to select bridge & middle, volume to 10, tone to 0, and a fair amount of overdrive on the amp. This gives me a louder and more cutting tone than it does with the tone control turned up a bit, a strange, honky, nasal sound that I really like.

:D

Could anyone tell me how to measure pots & caps using my multimeter? Pickups are easy, but I don't seem to get a reading on any of the settings when trying to measure a cap or pot.

stratman323 said:
Could anyone tell me how to measure pots & caps using my multimeter? Pickups are easy, but I don't seem to get a reading on any of the settings when trying to measure a cap or pot.

Mike,
is it possible that your instruction manual is written in Latin language ????
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roger
BTW - I know that so well ... it's a mess sometimes with that stuff ... :evil:

The meter didn't come with a manual, so it's trial & error. More error, in my case! :-?

Mike

Here a pretty generic multimeter manual, I know not all meters can measure capacitance, mine does but it's a feature I've never used.

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/2200816_PM_EN.pdf

Mike,

You can be sure you can hear some differences regarding Orange Drop and Mallory,I did at least. I was feeling a guitar has a treble I disliked so I did the quick test and put Mallory and I did like Mallories the best.Tone pot taper changed however. I didi the same test regarding Hovland and Tokai old green small cap ans it was night and day.Hovland took guitar wood tone back they just show what you got and not masked the sound. Have to try othe rold caps to see if I like.....

JohnA said:
Mike

Here a pretty generic multimeter manual, I know not all meters can measure capacitance, mine does but it's a feature I've never used.

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/2200816_PM_EN.pdf

Thanks John - I wish I had paid more attention during Physics at school! If someone had told me, when I was 15, that all that boring stuff about resistance etc would be very useful in ** years time when I was a musician, I would have laughed in their face!

I guess if I read that manual several times, it might eventually sink into my tired old brain :(

luis said:
Mike,

You can be sure you can hear some differences regarding Orange Drop and Mallory,I did at least. I was feeling a guitar has a treble I disliked so I did the quick test and put Mallory and I did like Mallories the best.Tone pot taper changed however. I didi the same test regarding Hovland and Tokai old green small cap ans it was night and day.Hovland took guitar wood tone back they just show what you got and not masked the sound. Have to try othe rold caps to see if I like.....

Thanks Luis - I don't know where I can get Mallory caps, none of the suppliers I use seem to sell them.

stratman323 said:
luis said:
Mike,

Thanks Luis - I don't know where I can get Mallory caps, none of the suppliers I use seem to sell them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Mallory-0-022uF-630V-150-Series-Caps-EVJ-GA5-Champ_W0QQitemZ360063265889QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Again, thanks John! What were those little grey caps you sent me just after I bought the Springy from you?

Latest posts

Back