Pots and caps

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cyberpunk409 said:
tudor said:
I've made the same experience on my Edwards LP90 LTS ... the pots were crap and there was no effect when turning them, NO difference in tone between 1 and 10 !!!!!

can't say the same for my Edwards LP98, although it looks cheap-ish, everthing works just fine

Those look like Alpha pots and are fair quality. The volume pots are linear taper and the tone are audio taper. I would swap out the caps and leave the pots alone if they are working satisfactorily.

Edit: I take that back. They resemble Alpha pots but Alpha stamps their name on the back of the case. I wonder if they are manufactured by them without the label.

Alpha pots hey? are they better than most stock pots on say chinese and korean guitars, or are they the same? thanks

cyberpunk409 said:
Alpha pots hey? are they better than most stock pots on say chinese and korean guitars, or are they the same? thanks

I edited the post above. Seems they may not be Alpha after looking a bit closer.

maybe more pics will help???

279531723.jpg
279531726.jpg

tudor said:
Outsider,

one of your country fellowmen here, Ludde, has done it already and he had given an excellent review of his upgrades ...
You should take a look at his site ... :wink: :wink:
http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

Roger

Oh God, I'm losing my will to live! I've read Ludde's article before, but I didn't remember that the CTS-pots use imperial measurements that don't fit Tokais directly. Or are there any CTS-pots that have metric measurements? I'm really not ready to start sanding the pot holes bigger... Are there any other good alternatives for pots that would already have metric measurements?

tudor said:
one of your country fellowmen here, Ludde, has done it already and he had given an excellent review of his upgrades ...
You should take a look at his site ... :wink: :wink:
http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

Roger

Hmmm, it is possible to take a good idea and take it way too far! So he now has an authentic (in every tiny detail), relicked and aged 1958, er......Tokai? :eek:

Although I know lots of people hate the idea, I can see some point in swapping decals so that, at a gig, your guitar looks to the punters like a Fender or a Gibson, or whatever. (most punters have never heard of Tokai, etc).

But changing every switch, pot etc? OMG :eek:

Outsider said:
Thanks for the hint. I'm not very exprienced solderer, but maybe I could manage to do it. Where exactly I should solder the resistor and what kind it should be?

Here's a really good tutorial on the subject.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm

Well, my soldering iron has been working overtime since reading all your answers. I've done a bit of experimenting with caps, & I've tried .1, .047 & .022.

I was reading the descriptions of what different size caps do, & I couldn't really understand what was meant. When I heard that a .022 was brighter, I assumed it wouldn't suit me, as I don't like a Strat to sound too trebley, but .022 seems the best compromise for me. I guess it depends how you use the tone control - I tend to use it to roll off the top end to sort of fatten the sound up a bit. I know a passive tone circuit can't actually fatten up the sound as it doesn't add any mids, but taking off the top end only makes the mids more prominent.

With a .1 cap, it seemed to roll off too much of the high-mids as it was turned down, leaving me with a sound that was not only too muddy, but lower in volume too. It was this loss of volume when the tone was turned down below about 4 that I didn't like. .047 was better, but with a .022 cap I think I finally understood what is meant by Clapton's "woman tone". With the overdrive turned up a bit, I can turn the volume to 10 and the tone to 1, select the neck pickup (or the neck/middle) and get a really nice usable fat sound. Excellent sustain, thick and fat, but not too muddy, and without too much loss of volume.

I did wonder whether using a .022 would mean that I had to turn the tone control down further to get a usable sound, but it doesn't seem to work like that, which is good. So, I think I've now decided to use a .022 cap on any Strat or Tele that I own.

However, different guitars and different pickups seem to react differently to the caps that are used, which isn't really too surprising. My 88 Strat had the .1 cap, but it also has Texas Special pickups. When I first fitted them earlier this year, I loved them, but now I'm not sure that they're the improvement that I thought they were. Does anyone else have views on Texas Specials, particularly in comparison with standard vintage type pickups (such as Seymour Duncan Vintage or Alnico 2s?).

My old favourite 86 Strat has a ceramic .047 cap, and it sounds great, but I'll try it with a .022 and see if it's an improvement. I've ordered a Vitamin Q .022 from Allparts, so I should be able to fit it later this week.

I also found some interesting .022 caps from http://www.axesrus.com/

123_2373.jpg

They're on this page:

http://www.axesrus.com/axeknobs.htm

and they're described as "Very old Vintage .02 mfd capacitors". I'm not sure what they're made of, but I get the impression they may have a slight edge over the Orange Drops, but it's early days really, time will tell. Has anyone else tried them?

So that's it for now, all I have to do is play the guitars and make sure I still like the .022s after I've used them for a while. Thanks to Tudor and everyone else who patiently explained this stuff to me, it was a big help. And I hope my experiences might be helpful to a few other people too.

:D :D :D

stratman323 said:
Thanks to Tudor and everyone else who patiently explained this stuff to me, it was a big help. And I hope my experiences might be helpful to a few other people too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're welcome ... that exchange of experiences was a pleasure for me too, because imagination is one thing - your "experimenting with caps" is the best method to come to the result you've been looking for ... :lol: :lol:

Roger
BTW - I have never seen those caps before ... :-?

Great. Going back to your original thread, how about an update on how you're getting along with your new Strat? As a confirmed rosewood board fan, I'd like to hear how you're getting on with the maple board. I'm sure others would be interested too. How it seems when it's new and shiny is one thing - how it feels after you've got to know it is far more interesting.

stratman323 said:
Great. Going back to your original thread, how about an update on how you're getting along with your new Strat? As a confirmed rosewood board fan, I'd like to hear how you're getting on with the maple board. I'm sure others would be interested too. How it seems when it's new and shiny is one thing - how it feels after you've got to know it is far more interesting.

Done ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
... look at the thread with the review ... :wink:

Roger

This was a fun little thread. I always thought we needed an electronics forum here.

Folks,

For what is worth the following is what I used to re-fit my strat style (3 x single pole pups) axe, Les Paul style (2 x humbuckers) axe and 1 super strat (maple neck, 3 humbuckers, locking trem). The beauty is electronics parts aren't very expensive and improvement on pre-refit sound is quite distinct.

Did a quite a bit of research on the net and found same names keep cropping up. CTS appears to be "IT" for pots. As far as caps goes, there is 3 way tussle between Orange Drop, Hovland MusiCap and AP Vitamin Q. Hov & AP are priced about the same but Orange cost much less. Mallory caps appears to be the favoured for Treble bleed. Supposedly for robustness and precision, Oak Grigsby Five Way Superswitch are the way to go. Switchcraft got a good name for output jacks as well as for toggle switches.

PM me should you wish to perform some lobotomy on your axe and wanting to get some schematics etc.

Strat style axe - Ibanez Roadstar circa. 1984
==========
CTS Potentiometers 250K - Audio taper volume and tone controls
Hovland MusiCap Capacitors - 0.047mF
Mallory Treble Bleed Capacitor - 0.001mf
Oak Grigsby Five Way Superswitch
Switchcraft 1/4" Output Jack - Gold coated

Lester style axe - Bruny Les Paul Custom circa 1985
===========
CTS Potentiometers 500K - Audio taper volume and tone controls
Hovland MusiCap Capacitors - 0.022mF
Switchcraft Gibson Style Toggle Switch

Super Strat axe - Ibanez Roadstar circa. 1983
==========
CTS Potentiometers 500K - Audio taper volume and tone controls
AP Vitamin Q Oil & Paper Capacitors - 0.022mF
Oak Grigsby Five Way Superswitch

Interesting. I have fitted one of the two Vitamin Q .022 caps I bought, but I'm not sure whether I can detect any difference between it and the "vintage" type .022s in my earlier posts. Time may tell, but I can't see they're worth the extra (?9.20 each compared to ?1.25 each). Still not a lot of money either way. Getting the correct value cap (for your personal tastes) seems more important than what make it is.

Mike

Since I wrote this, I've been wondering whether .022 caps are right for all Strats. My new Springy ST60, which has fairly low output pickups, seems a touch too bright with the .022 fitted, and I'm going to try swapping it for a .047. I think the ash body might be contributing to this as well, as it generally sounds more like a maple board guitar (well the rosewood board is a very thin cap, and my other rosewood Strats have slab boards).

So maybe the best compromise is .022 for dark and heavy sounding Strats, & .047 for thinner, brighter Strats?

Any views on this?

Mike

stratman323 said:
So maybe the best compromise is .022 for dark and heavy sounding Strats, & .047 for thinner, brighter Strats?

Any views on this?

Mike,

if my memory serves me well, one of the guys mentioned that Fender began with 1.0 caps, and went during their Strat development to 0.5?F caps and landed nowadays by 0.022?F ... :wink:
M8 ... try and try and try for youself ... it can't be wrong until you've found YOUR tone ... :wink:
... and ... I agree ... your less expensive Vintage caps could even be better than the VitQ ... or maybe no difference between them at least ...
If so ... sorry for leading you to the more expensive ones ... :( :(

Roger

tudor said:
... your less expensive Vintage caps could even be better than the VitQ ... or maybe no difference between them at least ...
If so ... sorry for leading you to the more expensive ones ...

Please don't apologise, this whole thread was very useful. If I've wasted money, it's just a few ?s, but it's not wasted as it's all useful experience. And maybe I'll change my mind, after using them for longer, you never know..... :p

Mike

I have a question about caps. Clearly a cap will have an effect on the overall sound of the guitar when the tone control is turned down, but will it still have an effect when the tone is set to 10?

Latest posts

Back