Pawnshop prize brought back from the dead - ID assistance?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infiniteposse

Reaction score
Hi all-

About two months or so ago I found this poor neglected guitar in a local pawnshops clearance rack for $75. It had corroded hardware, deader than dead EMG "Select" pups/rings, mismatched knobs, no covers for either cavity on the back and it was gross to the touch. I took it home and did a full rewire on it, new pots, got a new bridge, dropped in some Gibson Timbuckers I had around the house and cleaned her up. She's a great playing guitar now and I'm very happy with her.

I'm still not sure what she is though. Details... Pancake body, set neck, no serial number, longer headstock than a Gibson, but proper headstock shape in general, 3 hole truss rod cover, chambered I think (there's some space where the top veneer meets the body). A few folks over at the TGP thought Greco, but no one was really sure, so I figured this was the place to ask.

I'd like to discover, if possible, what approx. year it was made, if there are covers available for the back and truss rod (standard Gibsons sizes don't work) and what model it would be.

Please let me know if further pics would help.

Thanks!
----------------------
Before:

IMG_5181.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

IMG_5186-1.jpg

IMG_5189-1.jpg

IMG_5191-1.jpg

IMG_5192-1.jpg

IMG_5185-1.jpg

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg

IMG_5183.jpg

Today:

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

it even looks a little like a Gordon Smith from a distance but that little nick in the top of the headstock, the nut not being brass and it being in the US suggest not.

That looks early Greco. Has the same truss rod cover hole pattern. And the neck heel scarf joint, and thin top look like EG-450ish?

Latest posts

Back