NGD 1981 LS-150 VF

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record, I emailed Jacco once about this,
which in my opinion, is what he should have done re: the serial #.
Different ways of doing things I guess.

Sorry for getting off topic.

mattbarlow said:
One of the prettiest Tokaiw I ve seen!!!
Is it just the picture colors or is the top considerably faded between the two sets of photos ?

Alexandros
Thanks Alex,

I really like your solid flame top LS-60 also ... one of a kind !

Different lighting situations really show with lighter tops, and sunsets can shift colors more towards yellows and reds.

14159484893_773668e60c_b.jpg

13952773390_b882298dcd_b.jpg

14139428755_91a015d2e3_b.jpg

Thanks,

Now, I just have to figure out how to age the guard plastic to match. LOL

How's your LS-100 after the wiring mods ?

it such a sweet guitar John... I can hear a depth and complexity to the tone that I haven't heard in any other les paul... hopefully it'll still be there when the honeymoon period wears off eh ;)

but seriously, i am going to sell the LS80, it is just that good!

and yes i have similar issues with tokai plasticware.. my plan is to leave it in the sun as much as possible with everything on and hope they level in

Great to hear Andy.
Glad you found a good one, and possibly others after you sell that nice looking LS-80.

I'll try the sun method too I guess. :)

Hehe thanks for the kind words John, although its not compared to the BIG GUNS - like this LS200!

**** it also looks nice with the PG on! Although it would be better a bit creamier! (I ll give another try on the LS60 PG as well!)

Hi Reborn, I managed to darken my pickguard by buffing it with 0000 steel wool with a bit of kiwi brown shoe polish. Less is more!

Hope this helps. :)

Sweet guitar btw. I'm jealous. 8)

IMG_2243.jpg

Oh, and I rubbed some car polish on it afterwards. This is what it looked like before.

IMG_0688.jpg

Cheers guys, thanks !

Very nice LS Mojo Pin

I'm going to focus on pairing it with the right pickups and just play it a lot
for the time being.

14165776233_cb3e8911e4_b.jpg

14165774213_1f93ef3a10_b.jpg

13959042459_44c1034cd1_b.jpg

One of my top favorite TOKAI lookers I hope it sounds as good!
What pups u got there atm??! Still the originals i get it? !

Thanks Alex,

I haven't yet taken the time to exchange the super distortion pickup for a regular PAF, as planned.
Dimarzio PAF's tend to have little variance in resistance and the ones I have on hand are no exception,
so I might have to go with a different brand pickup for the bridge, or for both positions eventually.
I'm using the middle position a lot more, with the bigger spread in impedance ranges and I do very much like how it sounds and feels overall.

Thats what I do with my MKII in the LC185 middle position is sweet!! (also hotter bridge) .
That is until I get to throw P90s in humbucker size inside ;)

Hi Reborn,

Where did you get the pick guard?

I need one for my LS-100. Do you know if US type pick guards fit on the LS's?

There are very good aged vintage clone plastic parts available here and there, but I suspect they are for the US guitars. After you've paid $5k for a Historic, $60 - $80 for an aged pick guard is no problem!

BTW - Perfect top on that LS! IMO. :)

Be carefull about old LS/Reborn picguads as new ones dont fit, it seems the distance inbetween the rings are slight different. For example, Allparts (MIJ) dont fit perfect.....
I would recoment drawing a template and compare before getting one. I can help if needed.

JVsearch said:
Hi Reborn,

Thanks !

I borrowed an unused pick guard from an LS-80 .. :wink:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21085&highlight=ngd

10655178345_413d79ae9b_h.jpg

You could try contacting Stewmac.com and supplying them with your measurement between pickup rings to see what, if anything, will work.
As Luis says, spacing between rings on modern pick guards can differ.
As long as their pickup ring spacing is the same or longer, you should be OK, if you don't mind filing away a 1mm difference or less, using a flat file.
If no luck there, I do see reasonably priced vintage Tokai pickguards on Yahoo auctions from time to time.
If you use a broker service like "From Japan" fees shouldn't be as high as the more popular brokers are for small items. They accept paypal.

Reborn Old said:
JVsearch said:
Hi Reborn,

Thanks !

I borrowed an unused pick guard from an LS-80 .. :wink:
Ah, yes that is the ideal solution.
Or a vintage one from Yahoo. Thanks for all the suggestions!

luis said:
Be carefull about old LS/Reborn picguads as new ones dont fit, it seems the distance inbetween the rings are slight different. For example, Allparts (MIJ) dont fit perfect.....
I would recoment drawing a template and compare before getting one. I can help if needed.

Thanks Luis, I'll start with checking out all the pick guards I can find online and comparing the measurements to what I need.

Thanks for the tip about the Allparts one.

Latest posts

Back