NGD 1981 LS-150 VF

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reborn Old

Reaction score
A couple of beautiful LS-200's posted recently are a pretty tough act to follow, but the more the merrier, I guess.

14070828154_bd0c98936c_o.jpg

It's not particularly resonant unplugged like my lighter Tokais are,
but not dead sounding either.
As expected the PAF Dimarzio at the neck yielded pretty creamy wide range mids and lows, and bell like treble.
The super distortion bridge pickup is just so-so, but I will give it a bit more time at various settings when the guitar gets back from a fret dress in a week or two.

It's been well cared for, and condition is very good overall.
It's heavyish, weighing in at 10lbs, but it's something I can forgive given the overall quality of the guitar.
Neck profile feels very intuitive and effortless. Inlays are well done and look vintage correct.

13883750449_be608c7ffd_o.jpg

The top kind of reminds me of the 1981 LS Moody Edge posted a year or more ago. More pics to follow.

Very good choice, beautiful guitar, congrats again John!
Hardware is still in very good shape, don't see that often.

Thanks guys,

I actually like the way it looks in the shade or indoors a bit more,
has more of a vintage vibe to it.
I can tell it was played a fair amount from neck finish wear, but it's lacking the normal wear and tear associated with extensive use,
so I'm pretty pleased about that.
Frets are being re-crowned by a Japanese luthier as we speak, and the wait is killing me. LOL

It could be NGD blindness, but when I compare the fret board to my Custom Shop model with a Jacaranda board, I'm pretty sure this one has one as well.
It shows zero wear. Sparse grain and red coloring in places are quite similar on both.

It's interesting that it was made around the same time as Wulfman's LS-150 and that both are a bit on the heavy side.
(no complaints on that score)
I'm wondering if Tokai got a batch of more resinous mahogany about that time or ?

Same pics as on the other forum as I only had time to snap a few ...

13883751299_d9970987aa_o.jpg

Fantastic guitar Reborn Old. Good catch!
Peter and me have been talking about LS200s and 150s some time ago(he owned a TLS200 back in the day) and after watching some for sale agree had to be very carefull because, at least two, were not the model advertised but lesser.

I only can say I want one for me :lol:
Would anyone do a trade for a HLS360? 8)

Thanks Luis.

Too bad less attention is paid modern Premium Tokais compared to vintage examples, they are all quite rare and all great guitars.

Perhaps if you posted all the specs of your HLS-360 and a few more pics of in your ad, it might create greater interest ?

Great looking LP for sure! Most of these seem to be around 4,5 Kg. I don't mind the 4-4,5 Kg's myself but over that is a bit too much, at least for long gigs.

Thanks Thomas,

Since my other LPs are all around 4.1kg, this one did take some getting used to at first.
I adjusted to it fairly quickly though.
It might be a very different story playing longer sets, as you say
but this one will probably never leave home anyway. :wink:

One of the prettiest Tokaiw I ve seen!!!
Is it just the picture colors or is the top considerably faded between the two sets of photos ?

Alexandros

jacco said:
Just went through my old Yahoo Japan auctions and found your LS-150.
Although bad pics, you can see by the flame pattern that it is your 150. Serialno is _______, right?
Again, well spotted!
Jacco posted that serial number here in response to my reluctance to share it, when he asked me for it.

So if Jacco pumps you for information about your guitar, be it pot codes or a serial #,
you best comply if you know what's good for you. :roll:

Reborn Old said:
jacco said:
Just went through my old Yahoo Japan auctions and found your LS-150.
Although bad pics, you can see by the flame pattern that it is your 150. Serialno is 1011807, right?
Again, well spotted!
Jacco posted that serial number here in response to my reluctance to share it, when he asked me for it.

So if Jacco pumps you for information about your guitar, be it pot codes or a serial #,
you best comply if you know what's good for you. :roll:

I quoted this post, so it won't get lost after John alters it, as he often does.

That's awkward indeed. There is something completely different going on.
So this is how you react when I retract my friendship on MLP John. Awkward.

Why post the serial # publicly after I said I didn't want to share it ?

That's what's awkward ... if not bullying behavior.

FWIW, I had no idea you retracted your friendship on MLP.

Reborn Old said:
Why post the serial # publicly after I said I didn't want to share it ?

That's what's awkward ... if not bullying behavior.

FWIW, I had no idea you retracted your friendship on MLP.

Wow, bullying! Says the man whom I asked not to email me again a few hours ago. You can twist it the way you like, I'm unsubscribing from this thread. I'm liking this forum too much, I'm not letting you ruin it.

Latest posts

Back