New Tokais: LS70, LS75, LS80, LS120 (Differences?)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheNasties

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm from Europe and I (like everyone) want a proper Les Paul for little money,
that's why I thought for a Tokai (which are to be said as exact Gibson
copies and sometimes even better).

I've looked at the new catalogue which I got from someone on the
net and now I'd like to know if there are more differences between
LS70/75/80/120 (like the thing that the LS70 has a 3-piece body etc.).
than mentioned on this catalogue.
And: does Tokai use better wood for the better models?
Are there differences in the processing?
So, anyone who knows something about the new models, please post :)
Many thanks,
Stefan

The numbers have changed over the years. Model numbers reflect list price so as time goes by and inflation goes up, the numbers go up too - LS50 becomes LS60, LS60 becomes LS70 etc - it can get confusing.

Most UK dealers seem to be working off the old batch of numbers, which are LS60, LS65, LS70F, LS75Q. For the latest batch, just add 10 to the model number.

The 60, IIRC, has a 3 piece top, solid finishes, and a 3 piece back.

The others have 2 piece tops and a 2 piece back and the only differences are the cosmetic veneers - none on the 65, flame on the 70F and quilt on the 75Q.

Wood quality is the same.

The current 120 is basically a 75 with a better neck joint and some hardware upgrades.

Well just my 2cents, but ? Tokai reputation isn?t new, it was established with older guitars as players began to compare early Tokai with Gibson of 1970?s & 80?s. That was ?Norlin? era Gibson, a period now regarded as their low point, although Deluxe from 1970-80 & pre-Historics like Heritage-80 are now becoming highly rated.

Personally I don?t have much interest in new guitars, so can?t say if new Tokai LS75 will compare well to current Gibson Std. or Classic-60. But early Reborn & Love Rock should stand comparison with early LP Deluxe etc, and price is around 1/2 to 1/3 that of Gibbo (although prices rising, both Tokai & Gibbo) :-? .

Ian.

Hi Stefan

die 120 hat nen " long tenon neck " ,ist aus leichterem Mahagony ,hat Alu Bridge und nen 59- er Hals. Sie ist auch nitrolackiert ,die 2 billigeren " nicht. Ebenfalls hat sie die neuen besseren Mk 2 N Pickups !

Sie entspricht den Gibson Custom Shop Ri?s und klingt auch so !!!

Hi Rolf, welcome to the forum. Could you try that in English ... maybe someone will want to comment on what you're saying, maybe they will agree or disagree with you, but it becomes very tricky if we talk in a variety of foreign languages :-? .

Ian.

Sorry !

LS 120 is with " long tenon neck " ,extra light mahagony,alu bridge,nitro,59 Neck.

This guitar is like the Gibson RI 59 !

And sounds so !!!!!!

Latest posts

Back